Cream Cheese Icing 2

Decorating By mommasue3 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm by NanaSandy

mommasue3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommasue3 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 15

When using cream cheese for icing do I use it to crumb coat or I use buttercream?
Can you use cream cheese to do the borders or again use buttercream?
How many servings can I get from a 24 x 15 single layer? (2 12 x 15 cakes)

14 replies
1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasue3

When using cream cheese for icing do I use it to crumb coat or I use buttercream?
Can you use cream cheese to do the borders or again use buttercream?
How many servings can I get from a 24 x 15 single layer? (2 12 x 15 cakes)

If you're using a crusting cream cheese icing then you can crumb coat and frost the cake with the same icing. I have done this with no problems.

Either way, I think will work.

As far as servings: 24 x 15 / 2 = 108 servings of 1x2

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 15

I use a crusting cream cheese, and crumb coat and do borders or whatever it needs. It is pretty soft to try and do flowers. Not sure, haven't tried those yet.??

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:03am
post #4 of 15

NanaSandy, would you care to share your crusting cream cheese recipe? I really love the stuff and my family is always wanting an icing that isn't as sweet as buttercream.

Also, mommasue3, if you're talking about a single layer of cake (about 2" high), then the serving size is usually 2 x 2, and not 1 x 2 (the standard serving size is 8 cubic inches of cake, one way or another), so you'd only get 54 servings instead of 108.

mommasue3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommasue3 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #5 of 15

Thanks for all the help. It is very helpful.
What is "crusting" creamcheese? I have never used creamcheese for frost a cake.

NanaSandy Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:13am
post #6 of 15

crusting cream cheese means that a crust develops on it after you frost your cake and it sets for a while. Like butter cream does.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:45am
post #7 of 15

NanaSandy, I'd like to have your crusting creamcheese recipe, too, if you don't mind. My family prefers the less sweet frosting and the creamcheese fills the bill, but haven't found one that crusts yet. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 15

Actually, I just found a crusting cream cheese recipe in the recipe files here on CC. It's called Wedding Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting and it's by aztomcat. It looks very good. Is it similar to yours NanaSandy?

Here's the link to that one:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6817/wedding-crusting-cream-cheese-frosting

and to another one farther on down the list called Crusting Cream Cheese Icing posted by edencakes:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 15

I use Edna's crusting cream cheese recipe all the time. It crusts and handles just like buttercream and tastes amazing.

http://designmeacake.com/cccbc.html

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 15

This is the recipe the bakery I worked for used and it's the only one I use now. It's a great crusting buttercream. It is rich but very tasty.

1 8 ounce box of Cream Cheese
2 sticks (8 ounces of real butter)
One 2 pound package of Powdered Sugar.

Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth and slowly add PS. That's it. You can add flavorings, zest, whatever to make it the type of frosting you need, but it's perfect as is. It's not an outside hot weather frosting...but it holds up extremely well even in warm conditions. Knock wood, I've never had a problem with it.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks, carmijok! It's the simplest one yet - pretty much like buttercream but with cream cheese added!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Thanks, carmijok! It's the simplest one yet - pretty much like buttercream but with cream cheese added!

It is simple and very tasty! I frost all my cakes with it (I even have a chocolate version). One thing, I layer on the frosting and cool in the fridge between layers to build up until I don't see cake anymore. It may seem like extra work, but the cake is so much easier to smooth this way...and you can repair any problems when it's cold. Make sure the buttercream is cold and solid before adding any fondant decor.
I also deliver cakes cold...in plenty of time for them to warm to room temp before an event. They travel well and are more stable when cold, plus if you know it's going to be out for several hours, there's less chance of problems in case the room it's in is very warm. Again, this is not a buttercream to use for an outdoor event in hot weather. HTH! icon_smile.gif

NanaSandy Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 15

I use Kathy Finholt's Crusting Cream Cheese.
www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things

Somebody on CC posted in a forum somewhere and I have been using it ever since. My family LOVES it!!

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Kathy says:

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.
This makes a fairly stiff icing if you use 3-1/2 lb. Powdered sugar. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. Can stay out of fridge for several days. Freezes well.

Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 15

@NanaSandy
Can you add chocolate to your recipe?

NanaSandy Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 15

hmmmmm....not sure? I haven't ever tried that? Try it and let me know!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%