Some Cricut Tips

Decorating By AKS Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 2:14am by cms2

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 8

I have been using the cricut (create) for a few months now and I think it's great. I know some people are struggling, so I thought I'd start a thread to help out, and hope that other people share some tips as well.

1. Make sure that you use the right medium: Gumpaste is best. Go to creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com. This is run by the woman who started this whole craze. Follow her recipe for gumpaste and any hints she gives.

2. Use a pasta machine: The medium has to be so thin it's crazy! By using the pasta machine I get great results. I then put it on the cricut mat and roll it some more.

3. Let the medium dry out on the cricut mat: If you are using gumpaste, I find that 10-15 minutes is fine. For modeling chocolate and commercial fondant, I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

4. Make sure that the mat is well greased: Not overgreased, but well-greased. Use a pastry brush with a little crisco on it. you want a nice even coat.

5. MOST VALUABLE TIP: make sure that before you put the mat into the machine that the medium does not shift. With your fingertips, gently try to budge the medium. If it doesn't move, you're golden.

6. Letters: Use fonts that don't have very thin or broken lines. If you are using MTC or SCAL, bold the letters to make them easier to cut. Also, use the "flip"/"mirror" mode and cut your letters in the reversed, mirrored image so that you get flat, clean lines when you flip the letters over.

7. Is your blade clean? Remember to check the blade to make sure that there isn't any medium gunking up the works, making cutting difficult.

8. Trim: Make sure that the medium does not go outside the printed grid. If your medium is on the border, it won't go through. Also, make sure that there are not ragged edges that can get caught and picked up during cutting.

Well, that's all for now. I HTH someone out there in cakeland. I'd be interested in learning about other people's hints too. I know that there are numerous threads about this, but I was hoping to have one just for hints for people who need quick help. thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

thanks for all the tips. great!! thumbs_up.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 8

I just got my cricut cake and I appreciate the tips - can't wait to play this weekend!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS

6. Letters: Use fonts that don't have very thin or broken lines. If you are using MTC or SCAL, bold the letters to make them easier to cut. Also, use the "flip"/"mirror" mode and cut your letters in the reversed, mirrored image so that you get flat, clean lines when you flip the letters over.

Thanks fo all the tips...I stumbled onto the flip/mirror idea by accident...but you are right....it looks so much better than the top side.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 8

I also got the idea on here to use a heat gun to give a quick dry. Tried this today with great success.

lmaiorana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmaiorana Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:29am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the tips! I have found the freezer to help. I just need to practice some more icon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:08am
post #7 of 8

Glad they helped! icon_smile.gif

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:14am
post #8 of 8

Thank you! My cricut is on it's way. Can't wait to fool around with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%