Covering An Entire Tier With Sparkling Sugars?

Decorating By SweetOwens Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 2:18pm by sillywabbitz

SweetOwens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOwens Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 4

My best friend requested a cake in which an entire tier (possibly the whole cake) in sparkling sugars.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about covering a whole tier? I don't mean just spinkling them on, she wants them so you can't see any icing. It will be a red velvet cake w/cream cheese icing.

I'd love suggestions!!! Thanks!

3 replies
Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 4

This is such a pretty look, but I am not a fan of crunchy cake so I don't do it too often. icon_biggrin.gif

I place a tray (cookie sheet) on the counter, load it up with the sugar, take the freshly buttercreamed cake & start lightly pressing it on, holding it over the sheet to catch the extra sugar that falls off.

That is pretty is much it!!! thumbs_up.gif

You will do great!

SweetOwens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOwens Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the tips, I'm glad to hear someone has done this before!

I'm not a big fan of crunchy cake...but it's my best friend's birthday so I gotta give her what she wants! LoL! Can you imagine a CRUNCHY red velvet cake?? Hmm.....

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 4

I did this on the bottom tier of the red and white snowflake cake in my pics. I did an extra thick layers of frosting so people could avoid the crunchy sugar if they wanted too. I also mixed sanding sugar with sparkling sugar so it wasn't all giant chunks. There are certain flavors I wouldn't do this on. Carrot cake with sugar ....yuck... But lemon cake I'd be ok with. Red velvet sounds ok but I agree taste wise it's not my favorite but the look is beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%