Gumpaste Flower - Black Stamens

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 5:20am by retaunton

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 9

So i just had this grand idea for a cake im doing this week, and i need black stamens...Problem is I can't get them locally from Micheal's, Joann's, AC Moore, and the one good cake store in my area....
Ordering online at this point isn't worth it.

Locally I can get white ones... Do you know if its possible to make your own? Or if "dieing" them somehow would work? (They would need to be REALLY black, gray or light black just wouldn't look right)

(if you are in NC) Do you know of any other places I could could check than the typical art stores?

TIA

8 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 9

I have made stamens from using both embrodery thread and wire and dipping in royal icing. You can put a tiny piece of fondant or gumpaste on the end if you want a bigger end then dip. Dip them a few times till you get them the size you want. It work wonderful for me.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 9

Really? Michaels doesn't have them? The Michaels near me has white, black, green, yellow, gold, silver, sparkly, pearl, I could go on and on. maybe they have them in a different area than you looked?

CiNoRi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Really? Michaels doesn't have them? The Michaels near me has white, black, green, yellow, gold, silver, sparkly, pearl, I could go on and on. maybe they have them in a different area than you looked?

I called a couple stores near me but I did just go straight for the cake department.
Where abouts are you located?

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 9

I just made some this week. Bought white ones and painted them with black Americolor and a little vodka. Worked great! Very dark and they dried really quickly!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I called a couple stores near me but I did just go straight for the cake department.
Where abouts are you located?

I'm in RI. I think the ones in the cake area are all white because the wedding stuff is mostly white. If you go to the section that sells floral tape and stuff like that, you'll see a much bigger variety. Since they don't have to be edible and aren't touching anything that will be eaten, they're fine to use.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 9

Try the craft section of your local Dollar Store or the craft section at Walmart. Cotton thread or frayed kitchen string also takes color really well. I use a mix of gel color and vodka and dip the thread "stamens". If you need something bigger, you could dip the thread in a bit of meringue powder mixed with water. let that dry and then dip them in your gel and alcohol mix. HTH

CiNoRi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

these are PERFECT ideas! thanks! I had some white ones left over from another project... but if dying or making my own works well... even better! Having the option of getting the color i want, is awesome rather than using the fake looking ones!

thanks again!!

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:20am
post #9 of 9

Look at the silk flowers at the dollar store to see if any have flowers with black stamens. I've done this before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%