I Got My First Order!!!!!!! Yee-Haw!!

Decorating By JenFailla Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 7:21pm by JenFailla

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 14

Ok- so I'm technically a hobbyist and I won't be getting paid for this, but I'm still excited nonetheless. My friend asked me to do the cake for her son's 5th bday- she says she wants to pay me, but since I'm not licensed, etc. I won't be taking any compensation. Besides, she has always been more than generous with gifts for my son and our wedding.

It may seem silly to get so excited about this, but I've been doing cakes for a relatively short amount of time and am just happy someone likes my work enough to ask me to do it. And although she's nice, she wouldn't have me do it if she didn't think I could do good work- she's known for knowing what she wants and stopping at nothing to get it! So that makes me feel good that she trusts me enough. I'm doing my niece and nephew's bday cakes this weekend, but the kids asked me- this will be my first non-family cake I've made. Geesh- I'm such a dork! icon_lol.gif Imagine one day, when I am licensed and can actually get paid how excited I'll be?!?!?! Thanks for letting me share!

BTW- this is a Phineas and Ferb cake so thank you in advance to any CC'ers that have their P&F cakes in the gallery- I'm sure I'll be getting inspiration from there!

13 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 14

Wohoo, congratulations icon_biggrin.gif

(I got excited and nervous when asked to bring a cake to work a month or so ago... yup I'm a hobbiest and dork too icon_smile.gif )

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 14

I know what it feels like when you get the opportunity to do a cake whether it's for friends or family or just someone who likes your work. It makes you feel like maybe you're on to something! Just a couple of words of advice. Don't be so quick to refuse payment...at least consider getting reimbursed for ingredients. When you do get licensed and your reputation is always doing them for free, it's mighty hard to change the perception! Also, I looked at your photos and I think you have got a good future ahead of you! One thing though...cover your boards better. Aluminum foil detracts from your cakes and looks a little too 'homemade' if you get my drift. If you don't want to buy cake boards that are already finished, just go to the grocery store and get some white freezer wrap and use that to cover them. It's a cleaner look, plus errant icing is wiped away easily. I covered many a board at the bakery I worked for with that stuff and I use it all the time. Make sure the glossy side is on the outside and you'll be good to go. Congratulations and have fun caking!! It is addictive! thumbs_up.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 14

Congratulations! Can't wait to see your pics! thumbs_up.gif

JenFailla Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 14

@imagenthatnj- thank you for the pics!!!

@carmijok- It is so funny that you mention the cake boards! That has been my "search topic" for the last few days! I hate the foil look- I will definitely check out the white freezer paper! Thanks!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 14

Congrats to you! I've been in business since last summer (legal at home) and do maybe 1-2 cakes per month. I still get excited when I get an order, so I guess I am a dork, too! thumbs_up.gif

BlueMerleGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMerleGirl Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 14

I am very new to cake decorating but was curious about you mentioning a license. What kind of license is this that you are refering to?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 14

You need a license to sell your cakes. Depending on where you live, you might not be able to bake from home and sell your cakes, you might have to rent space on a commercial kitchen, or you might have to have a storefront.

Here are some links, but there are plenty in Cake Central to start reading about it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-102101-next.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7054803.html

https://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=479643&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-695748-.html&sid=09fd867c64a968cd8def8e89afd24255

BlueMerleGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMerleGirl Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks so much for that info! Now I understand. I live in California and there are many restrictions about where you can do anything regarding food.

I appreciate you taking the time to send those links!

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 14

Congrats, I just made my a cake for a friend of a friend. It is the first cake I have made I don't get to eat. My friend delivered it today and told me that the client is really impressed. I have been pretty nervous and put a lot more time than I expected into the cake. Luckily I live in Quebec and the home-based food laws are pretty relaxed (from what I have heard/read).

Good luck with the cake!
Jenna

Zeebadeeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeebadeeba Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 14

Congrats!

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 14

Congrats to ya, and I understand your excitement. You are so NOT a dork for feeling the way that you do! Would love to see a pic! thumbs_up.gif

JenFailla Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all for the encouragement. The party is at the end of March but I'll post pics when it's done! Thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%