Im Over My Oven

Baking By noahsmummy Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm by debbief

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:17am
post #1 of 7

my oven is an older stule one, it died a few weeks ago and had a new element put in (its electric) ever since, it has been BURNING the bottom of EVERYTHING i bake before the top is even half way done! i just pulle a cake out that i had been testing throughout, it was only JUST cooked on the top, and yet the bottom is a layer of charcoal. Has nayone ever had this happen tot hem? any ideas of what i can do?

6 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 7

Have you used an oven thermometer to see if its at the tempertature you set, sometimes the built in ones stop working and you may be baking at a higher temp than you think. Also to help insulate the bottom of the cake you can put the cake pan on a sheet pan with a small amount of water or dampened towel to help dissipate the heat.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

If you have two shelves put a cookie sheet on the bottom shelf and the cake on the top shelf. I agree that an oven thermometer is a good idea.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:08am
post #4 of 7

My oven just recently died and my husband wanted to just get a new element....thankfully, he was convinced to just get a whole new range...Anyways, yes that will definitely work, to put a large shallow pan of water in the bottom rack to help disperse the heat. If you are concerned about steam affecting the recipe you may also want to put some foil on the pan to keep the steam from escaping. Good luck...hopefully you can just get a new oven soon!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:16am
post #5 of 7

thankyou, i have round two in the oven now, with a pan of water on the bottom shelf, im hoping it will help! ive not seen an oven thermometers anywhere, does anyone know where to get them from? (im in australia).

haha i wish i could get anew oven! im renting, looking at moving in around 6 months.. no doubt teh first thing i will be doing is inspecting the kitchen! made the mistake of not doing that when i moved in here. lol

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 7

I'm not sure what store you have in Australia, but I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, Any well stocked household store should have them

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 7

I was going to post a new thread but found this one so thought I'd just post here.

Something is wrong with my oven icon_cry.gif I was up until midnight trying to bake a cake. I have a store bought thermometer in my oven so I can check to see that my oven temp is correct. It's always been within a few degrees of what my oven is set at. But last night OMG icon_mad.gif I set it at 335 and looked in the window after a few minutes and noticed my cake was rising awfully quick. Looked at the thermometer and it said 370. So I turned my oven down to 310...a few minutes later the thermometer said it was under 300. So I kept turning the temp up and down. The thermometer never read the same as what my oven was set at. The poor cake baked at 50 different temperatures.

My oven isn't more than about 3 years old and it's not a cheap oven. Could it just be the internal thermometer? I'm thinking the service call alone is going to hurt icon_sad.gif

AND I have a whole bunch of cakes coming up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%