How Long Does It Take?

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 5:31am by Crazboutcakes

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #1 of 5

I've been decorating for a little over a year.. and I feel like I've improved a lot, but I feel like Im not good at the little details at all... I dont know how to improve at that. I see so many amazing looking cakes on here and I dont know how to get to that level. I dont know if I handle the fondant too much or what but if I ever do try to make really small details, they look like blobs of fondant to me. I dont know if that makes sense.. Im just feeling a little frustrated, like Im not improving... icon_cry.gif

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:06am
post #2 of 5

Hey Ashley,
I looked at your pics and your cakes look really good. The details on cakes the sewing cake look great.
Can you give specifics of what is coming out like blobs of fondant? Are you trying to make flowers, figures, etc? Many people use molds, cutters, cricut machines and plungers to get those little details so depending on what you are trying to do it may just be about having the right tools.

Post pics of something you've seen would like to know how to do it and I'm sure everyone on CC would be happy to help you.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #3 of 5

Ashley..practice, practice, practice..I"ve been decorating cakes for 4 years and my techniques aren't as good as a lot of ppl on here. I get frustrated too, but the more I do, the better I feel about my skills..I am always on here reading topics to get tips on everything and they help a lot..so just keep on going. Your cakes look great and I don't see much wrong with them at all! Hang in there and keep caking it! It will come because finally, I'm starting to see some improvements on my end,,but aren't as near as many ppl on here,,,but I feel better on how I'm doing better than I ever have.

Good luck!

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:52am
post #4 of 5

I dont know if I could specifically think of something I want to make.. I want to get better at doing gumpaste figures and things like that, but I guess in general, I feel like sometimes my cakes look sloppy.. Theres always something that I have to try to cover up, and its frustrating. tapedshut.gif Now I feel like Im complaining.. I just kind of wondered how long some of you made cakes before you made one, looked at it and thought "that looks perfect"

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:31am
post #5 of 5

I have been doing cakes for 2years and I wish that I had an aswer for you but I am also still working at it too, there is so much to learn, if you want to learn just jump in and go for it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%