Beach Themed Cake And Decorations - Help Please

Decorating By keiza07 Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm by TexasSugar

keiza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keiza07 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to do my first paid for wedding cake (which is scary because it's also my first paid for cake). It's for a friend's wedding in 6 weeks - choc mud with choc frosting, thank goodness no fondant. I have fallen in love with a My Sweethearts Bakery cake and want to know how do I make the decorations - is there a special mould?

http://www.mysweetheartsbakery.blogspot.com/search?q=beach

Also, I love patchwork cutters, does anyone know if there is a beach-themed one? I looked on their website and came up blank.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 6

Those look like fondant freehand cutouts, which have been given a bit of depth by freehanding a couple of lines on them
Otherwise look for chocolate molds, there are beach themed ones for shells etc

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #3 of 6

Tney look like chocolate candy molds to me. I made shells using them once they are great.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:24am
post #4 of 6

I thought the shells looked like they were made by using a cookie cutter and a little freehand putting lines in it with the decorating tool. There are plenty of beautiful shell molds that are fairly inexpensive.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:39am
post #5 of 6

Google "chocolate shell mold" and you'll find tons. I'm making a beach themed cake soon and have been looking for them myself. I'm going to use the plastic choco molds and use white chocolate rather than fondant then brush them with luster dust. (I'd rather eat a piece of chocolate than a chunk of fondant) Lot's of really great examples out there. There are also silicone molds but they're more expensive. Good luck!

countrykitchensa.com, globalsugararts.com

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 6

Are you looking for something sorta whimsy? That's what I think of when I see that picture. I agree that they look more like freehanded cut outs rather than a mold.

Now if you want some realisticly looking shells, there are a ton of great molds out there for those. I've got a couple of pictures in my photos here using molds with gumpaste (can also use chocolate).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%