Question About Different Types Of Buttercreams.

Decorating By seattlebaker Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 2:04am by Foxicakes

seattlebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seattlebaker Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:46am
post #1 of 7

I have a question about buttercream icing. I've made several different types (swiss meringue, straight up buttercream, etc.) and I've yet to find one that fits the type I have in mind.

Some buttercreams, I find, turn out to be super smooth and extra buttery. I'd like to find a recipe for one that is stiffer and more sugary (less soft and buttery), if that makes sense. I have the icing from a local cupcake shop in mind. Their icing is denser and less whipped-tasting.

I'd love any help!

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #2 of 7

I would think it was some recipe of american buttercream. I would go in the cupcake shop , buy some, eat one there and sorta see if you could find out what they use. They don,t have to tell you their recipe, but probably would say if it is regular buttercream, etc. Good luck!!! Does it taste buttery , plain , sweet and 10x sugary tasting. Let us know. I hope someone else on here might know. Souinds interesting.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #3 of 7

Are you maybe looking for a crusting buttercream?

seattlebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seattlebaker Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55

Are you maybe looking for a crusting buttercream?

Yep! I think that's exactly what it is. Thank you!

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:20am
post #5 of 7

I like the Wilton BC (www.wilton.com). Play around with increasing the PS if you want it 'crustier'. If it gets too stiff then, add a bit of liquid til you get what you want. Depending upon how hot it is, I may also decrease the butter to shortening ratio in the recipe.

You can really jazz it up by using flavored creamers, different extracts, etc.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 7

This is my recipe and it crusts like the dickens:

2 pounds PS
1.5 cups softened butter
1 cup Shortening (I use Hi-Ratio)
non-dairy coffee creamer to desired thickness (any flavor)

Now - most commercial bakeries (unless high end) do not use butter in their recipe. AND many start with a base from a company called BakeMark. Ask them straight up if their icing is from BakeMark or Bettercream. You have nothing to lose by asking.

It's not always so - but I would not be surprised if they used one or the other. Both of those are sugary, not buttery at all, and crusting... and many bakeries use them. I know of TWO supposed high-end bakeries in my area that use BakeMark. TWO! And those are the ones I'm aware of. And all the grocery store bakeries here use Bettercream.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:04am
post #7 of 7

A great tasting, great performing, great crusting buttercream is Edna's recipe. You can find it on her website designmeacake.com She also has a youtube video of herself making the recipe. She makes it using vanilla extract. I use vanilla PLUS a tsp of almond, butter, and 1/2 tsp of orange and 1/4 tsp of lemon extract. (I know, it sounds like a LOT of flavoring, but it's wonderful!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%