Washington State Senate Bill 5748 "cottage Food Law&quo

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm by Spuddysmom

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm
post #31 of 138

No other big change, just the gross sales was a hot topic for some. I have chatted with a few people that didn't like the $15,000...so the $10,000 I am sure won't settle well.

I am satisfied with the changes because this means the Agricultrual Dept, State Health Board and Health Dept are all supporting SB5748!!!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm
post #32 of 138

I was talking to the Thurston County HD guy this week and mentioned the bill, he hadn't heard of it but was really shocked that they would try for something as high as $15k for home made foods, so I think they're probably going to have better luck passing it with a lower number.

$10k is better than the $5k it started at.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:32pm
post #33 of 138

It looks like they are trying to compromise in the middle on the amount, 10K does not sound like alot of money but lets not complain its better than not being able to do it all. Now we have a chance to do it leagally. So if we can do it their way for awhile and there are no health complaints maybe in the future we can get them to bumb it up.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #34 of 138

If I were in WA I would be asking them to include a "path to legality" once cottage food manufacturers hit the $10K mark -- for example by opening more incubator kitchens, which could pay for themselves or even be profit centers based on charging rent and higher annual fees.

There will always be political pressure from Ag and Health to keep the max cottage food income as low as possible because they are essentially ceding control of that part of the market, but allowing for an easy transition to "real" food service businesses will appease them as well as increasing state revenue. The alternative would be cottage food makers reverting to under-the-table transactions after the $10K limit is reached.

Larkin121 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #35 of 138

Absolutely, incubator kitchens would be a great thing. To my knowledge, there are only 3 locations that are strictly rental commercial kitchens in the Puget Sound area. I don't know about the 2 in Seattle, but the one in Renton often seems to be full. These kitchens would allow people to sell more than potentially hazardous, too, which is really important to some of us.

CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:11am
post #36 of 138

Any updates on the Cottage Food Bill today?

CAKELADIE1 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #37 of 138

Great News! Just received an email from Senator Mike Hewitt that SB 5748 passed the Senate nearly unanamously and he said to expect the same result in the legislative process and can expect it to pass into law with a similar margin before the end of the session. We all have Felicia to thank for her diligence on our behalf. Thank you Felicia for you efforts.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:26am
post #38 of 138

Woohooo!!! party.gif Score for my home state! I am so happy for you guys!

Larkin121 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:23am
post #39 of 138

Well, that's good! I'm pondering... I wonder if I'd be allowed to have both a licensed business in the kitchen I'm renting, for the cakes I do that are perishable, but a home cottage industry for cookies or something like that. Think that would fly?

FH_Cakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:37am
post #40 of 138

WAAAAAHOOOOOO!!!! The senate passed SB5748!

Let's do this people....now is the time we need to rally to our State Representatives. It is likely there will be a public hearing from the Agricultural Committee within the next 2 weeks...

Thank you again to everyone for your support and hard work...

@ Larkin: You will be able to keep your commercial kitchen (with permit/fees as is) and have your new cottage foods set-up. I asked this same question since I may want to do wholesale at some point..which is not allowed from the cottage foods kitchen.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:31am
post #41 of 138

Felicia, and everyone else in Washington, just stopping by to wish you all good luck! Sounds like it's going really well and hope the trend continues. Keep up the great work!

FH_Cakes Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:58am
post #42 of 138

ATTENTION:

SB5748 is Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Agriculture & Natural Resources at 8:00 AM this FRIDAY!!!!!

Can anyone make it? I will be there again, the more people this time around the better off we are....We have to rally together and make this happen! Please let me know if you will be attending so I can forward your info to Senator Rockefellers office, they really need your support!

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #43 of 138

I wish I could be there, they asked me to come but there's just no way I can make it. I have a 1 year old and my husband has classes all morning, not to mention it's about a 6 hour drive icon_razz.gif I wish everyone who goes the best of luck!

Larkin121 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #44 of 138

I can't either, my husband works and I have to little ones that I can't really drag with me through crazy rush hour traffic to Olympia.

Can you bring in written testimonials?

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:03pm
post #45 of 138

I would love to be there but we have 2 doctor's appointments that day. Let me know if I can do anything else. Thanks to everyone for all their hard work and dedication to get this passed!

FH_Cakes Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #46 of 138

For those that can't make it to the hearing...please contact the following people and urge them to vote yes!

Brian Blake
Vincent Buys
Bruce Chandler
Hans Dunshee
Joel Kretz
Kristine Lytton
Eric Pettigrew
Christine Rolfes
Derek Stanford
Kevin Van De Wedge
JT Wilcox

These are all House Reps on the Ag committee...I already have yes votes form Rep Bill Hinkle and Ed Orcutt.

I will be attending on Friday morning, if anyone has a written testimony they want me to take please PM me the message.

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:22am
post #47 of 138

This is all wonderful to hear icon_smile.gif I wish you guys that will be attending the meeting all the luck in the world ! I am finishing the last steps to get my cake/cupcake business going and see this has made my day ! Im in Port Angeles or I would definitely be there ! cant wait to hear about how it all went !

Smallfrye Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:32am
post #48 of 138

So what does this one mean??

Mar 18 Scheduled for executive session in the House Committee on Agriculture & Natural Resources at 8:00 AM. (Subject to change)

I just saw it on the states website.

FH_Cakes Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #49 of 138

smallfrye.....this means that they will not vote on the bill this friday. The public hearing is just to hear testimonies...the vote will be held 3/18. We were foruntate in the Seante Ag Committee meeting, they heard testimony and voted on the same day...the House takes longer to deliberate! This is why it is SOOOO important to get people at the hearing this Friday...I can not stress that enough......

For those that have a distance to drive, I understand, I am driving 2+ hours...but this is worth it, don't you think!!

CAKELADIE1 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 5:08pm
post #50 of 138

Felicia, I want to be there so bad, but I don't think I can swing it. I live in Eastern Washington and I have appointments late this afternoon and a cake due Friday evening. I thought about driving thru the night, but I would have to come by myself and I am afraid I would fall asleep. If there was someone else from this area going and we could carpool, that might be an option.

Smallfrye Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 7:34pm
post #51 of 138

So how did it go???

FH_Cakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm
post #52 of 138

Hey all....I just got back home...things went GREAT!

Lots of support from the Reps...I brought cookies for each Rep at the meeting, they loved it! It showcased what the labeling will entail from the bill. All testimonies were PRO...no CON!! Woooohoooo! This is great for us! I met with Senator Rockefeller after the hearing, he is thrilled at the progress and support for this bill. Now we wait until Wed for them to take action....once this happens it will go to the Rules Committee.

By the way, it looks like they may be increasing the gross sales amount back up...we will see soon!

CAKELADIE1 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #53 of 138

Felicia...My thoughts have been with you all morning!! Thank you so much. If there was anyway I could have been there, I would have. Would love to meet you. Good news about the gross sales increase also. So what happens when it goes to the Rules Committee? Would you be able to send me what your labeling looks like. Will we be required to put the same labeling on our special order cakes? Just wondering...

Dejasnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dejasnow Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:43pm
post #54 of 138

That is so great to hear ! I am almost all done with all the papers etc i need then i will be on my way to having my own business . Now to see if Clallam county will allow it in the house even if this law goes all the way (Which it will ) !

FH_Cakes Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #55 of 138

@CAKELADIE1

Thanks so much for the support, I totally understand!

The labeling will be as follows:

Name
Address
Phone
Product Name
Ingredients from least to most
Weight
Allergen Info
"made in home kitchen"

You will be required to place this on and all all packaging... As for the cakes, you will be required to provide this info on a seperate sheet (note card) and hand to the customer...or place on the cake box. It is required in 11 point font.

After the Ag Committee passes it, then it goes to Rules. This is where the real hard work comes in...It is imparitive that each and every State Rep is made aware of this bill and what it entails.

@Dejasnow

The county has no jurisdiction over the state law, it is part of the bill....This was my concern too...What if the Law passes but my local health dept says no! Then what am I to do! The ammendments that were made state that the law over rules local jurisdiction...however if there is any concern of an outbreak or food borne illness the State Agricultrual Dept will get involved. There is still room for this to change though...I am trying to keep everyone updated on any new or possbily new changes on the horizon!

Keep calling your local state reps and have your friends/family contact theirs too! We must spread the word!!!

Larkin121 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #56 of 138

Glad to hear the dollar amount may go back up... when I was looking at other cottage bills trying to be passed right now in other states, they had no sales limit, or like TX is trying for $150k sales limit! $10k really is pretty low.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 7:55am
post #57 of 138

thats awesome!
I run a confection business in Thurston county and this is all great news icon_smile.gif

Larkin121 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:59pm
post #58 of 138

Just read the status and it said no action was taken at the committee meeting today. I tried to read up more on this status, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that unless it was passed, it will not go on to further readings? As in, the bill stalled out?

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #59 of 138

I hope not icon_sad.gif

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:18pm
post #60 of 138

yeah I hope not either icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%