Help Me Say Yes To This 3D Cake!!!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:33am by Ursula40

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 13

oh maaan! I am sooo nervous about saying yes to this lady about a 3D standing cake for this new cartoon icon_eek.gif I don't know if anyone has heard of Gir...don't know the name of the actual cartoon...but i'm posting a picture of what she wants below.

I'm really nervous about saying that I can put that green guy on top of the pig icon_redface.gif I just think that the shape of his head is really odd and I think it's bigger than the pig...don't know if I can get it to stand up correctly!

What do you guys think? Is this more than 20 servings too? Sounds like she is trying to get a deal for the small party she has but I believe she doesn't have a clue as to what goes into a 3D cake which is why she has this crazy idea icon_razz.gif I've even tried suggesting doing the green guy and have him holding the pig or something...nope, she wants Gir on top of the pig icon_confused.gif

HEEEELPP!

12 replies
step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 13

i knew it wasn't going to post the picture

http://tinypic.com/r/27y7p7q/7

kaytkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytkat Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 13

That cartoon is Invader Zim!

Maybe you could make the pig be made out of cake and make the green guy out of RKT. I dont know the structure would work but I think it would be really hard to make them both out of cake plus it would probably be way more than 20 servings. I would do it just cause that pig is so friggen cute!

Also ask her what her budget is because this sounds like it could get expensive. You dont want to loose money over the deal.

step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 13

Kaykat, thank you! I was just starting to look up the size of the pig in relation to Gir...I couldn't find anything! I think I may have to tell her which way to go on this. She did give me a budget and then she gave me another budget, was kinda weird. Even after I gave her my brochure with pricing :p
so, now she knows the pricing and she definitely wants Gir on top of the pig...so, I think you're right with doing the pig out of cake and then Gir out of RKT or something.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 13

I googled "invader zim cake" without the quotes and found there were a number of images.

I saw this one which looks just like what your client wants. It looks like the pig is made of cake but the character on top is either gumpaste or RKT. You may be able to contact them and ask how they went about it.
http://megscakes.livejournal.com/44656.html

kaytkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytkat Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 13

AW that cake is adorable!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 13

Pmarks,
that's a great find and that cake looks pretty doable. What a fun cake.

step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

I googled "invader zim cake" without the quotes and found there were a number of images.

I saw this one which looks just like what your client wants. It looks like the pig is made of cake but the character on top is either gumpaste or RKT. You may be able to contact them and ask how they went about it.
http://megscakes.livejournal.com/44656.html

Thanks! I actually found that picture about 10 mins ago and am sending it to her now! thumbs_up.gif

She gave me a budget of $80-100...i'm a little weary about her but I'm going to go in the middle of the road for this because I'm not going to be able to do a ball pan for this pig icon_razz.gif

step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 13

hmmm...now i'm thinking that the ball pan MAY work. What do you guys think about doing the ball pan with an extra layer of a 6" cake in the middle to elongate his body??? would that hold up?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 13

I too thought about the ball pan as soon as I saw the picture but I'd worry about gravity. It seems like it would pull apart in the middle. For stability sake, I would think you would be better off doing 2 or 3 layers of a sheet cake and carve it down. You can use the ball pan as a guide on the ends.

What size sheet pans do you have? I'm thinking you could bake 2 9X13 and cut off the last 1/3 of each and stack that on top to make the piggy taller , then carve the shape.

step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 13

yea, I thought about that too Sillywabbitz icon_lol.gif

Hmmm...2 - 1/4 sheet cakes sounds like a LOT of extra cake. I was thinking of using a 10" round and then cut it down from there...I think that's doable icon_wink.gif but I like what you said about cutting some of those sides off and putting that back on top...I will do that! icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:38am
post #12 of 13

YAAAY! Good news! she wants a Gir cake with him flat on his back holding the pig like I originally suggested! I knew she wasn't going to like the idea of a big pig and small Gir icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the help!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:33am
post #13 of 13

2x the rugby ball ball (or american football pan and carve the ends, that way the split will be horizontal and not vertical

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%