I Need Help With This Cake

Decorating By cakegirl31 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 4:59am by Lcubed82

cakegirl31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl31 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #1 of 5

I need to know what size cake pans I will need for this mad hatter cake? It needs to feed 120-150 people. I also need to know what they used for the swirls on the middle tier? How do I scallop the bottom of the top tier? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Now I am going to need 3 layers for each tier right? I have watched the video on you-tube, I just need to get the info on this cake. This was sent to me by email. Also if I use cake mixes do I need to add sour cream to it to make a cake that will hold up to the fondant? Thank you so much for any help you can give me, here is a link to the cake. Also I am going to make it a 4 tier so the very top one will go for them to keep, so what size would I add for the top

http://www.cakeswebake.com/forum/topics/need-help-with-the-sizes-of?commentId=4635016:Comment:207163&xg_source=msg_com_forum

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 5

So if you go buy the Wilton chart
a 6- 10-14 inch serves 103 people (using 2 layers per tier)

8-12-16 inch serves 137 people

I prefer 3 to 4 inch difference when doing Topsy's because if they're too close in size they're less stable. A sturdier cake recipe is good so adding pudding to a cake mix and or using the WASC recipe is a good idea but one thing to keep in mind is to avoid slippery fillings, no jams or sleeve fillings or fresh fruit. Instead stick with buttercream or ganache type fillings.

The swirls were probably either free hand or she used a stamp and went over them in black food coloring. Also looking closely at the cake I don't think the top tier is scalloped, I think it's a buttercream boarder.

Also be careful that your oven will hold the larger pan sizes. My oven won't hold anything bigger than a 12 inch round.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 3:58am
post #3 of 5

I would def say there is a 4" difference in pan size for each layer.
Curls appear to be piped. You could also use a clay extruder and curl a string of fondant. I think there are also cutters for the curls.

The bottom edge of the top layer does not appear to be scalloped. I think it is the same border as below, two small fondant balls then a larger one, repeat. Could use buttercream and pipe the balls.

cakegirl31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl31 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 5

So the top tier of fondant comes down a little over the cake and then I just do the fondant ball? I also want to make sure, Now if I do the 3 tiers like this:

Bottom tier is going to be 3- 16 in layers, middle tier is going to be 3- 12 in layers, and the top tier is going to be 3-8in layers??? I have seen the tutorials on the Topsy turvy cake on here and they use odd sizes like 10, 11, 12in for one tier and so on, I hope I am making since?

So do you think this cake is carved? they look kind of wider then some of the other Topsy Turvy cakes I have seen. OK I am sure I will have more questions, Thank you all so muchicon_smile.gif Grace icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #5 of 5

I don't think these tiers are tapered. They are angled on the tops, but not on the sides. Pink Cake Box does most of her TT cakes this way. It is much more stable looking, and makes serving easier as you don't have to figure out how much is lost by tapering the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%