Novice About To Attempt First 2 Tier

Decorating By jessyummycakes Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 12:27am by jessyummycakes

jessyummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyummycakes Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:35am
post #1 of 9

I am so glad I found this site! icon_biggrin.gif
I am about to attempt my first 2 tier cake for a friends 21st. I am excited and nervous! Any hot tips?

8 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:50am
post #2 of 9

that's hard to answer, let';s start with what are you nervous about?

jessyummycakes Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:40am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

that's hard to answer, let';s start with what are you nervous about?

I think its the "stacking" issue. I am still feel nervous about just handling cakes.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 9:55am
post #4 of 9

If you have time, make a practice cake. This will be super helpful when you go to make the real deal. Good luck!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 9

watch youtube videos so you can actually see how someone handles it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 9

My best tip: use SPS for support. Let's get you started right!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 9

I ditto the SPS.....

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

as far as I know, SPS is not available in Aussie, I am pretty sure I saw someone say she would gladly use it if not for the expense of importing it.....??? I might be imagining it, but it was about the time I stacked my first cake and people were giving me the same advice, and someone from Aussie chimed in with that.

Handling cakes can be scary I know, but remember that you will be putting a ribbon or something on the bottom of the cake, so it will hide any damage you do. I suggest nudging the cake towards you, towards the edge of the bench so you can get your fingers underneath it. If you have someone to help you, it will be a lot easier. when you go to place the cake, if it makes you feel better have your partner there with an angled spatula underneath it. To be hoenst I haven't seen any other way of releasing the cake other than getting it as low as you can, then outright dropping it onto the tier below. But if you're unsure if you've placed it correctly, you've got the backup of that angled spatula under there to make it easier to re-position if necessary.

If handling is all your nervous about and you have the rest clear in your mind, then you're all good!

jessyummycakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:27am
post #9 of 9

Hi Everyone, just to follow up that I ended up using dowel which worked just fine. Here is what it looked like.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1932349

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%