Billowing Technique, How Do You Do This, It's Awesome.

Decorating By bakencake Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 7:14am by JanH

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm
post #31 of 136

Link?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:44pm
post #32 of 136

I am talking about the link that Relznik just sent, few post up.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #33 of 136

Ok, that video was sure helpful,but for a puffier look,one might use a thicker piece of fondant underneath or something. Thanks for posting.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm
post #34 of 136

actually, the pic of the cake the poster linked us to , the diamond effect was done with the 3 diamond cutter. Then ,the billowing effect was done on the cake. The link showing , using the fondant pieces was used on a cake board, to use as the top to the sewing basket. Then she showed how to make those marks with the dresden and veining too.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 12:40pm
post #35 of 136

I just went to the website and the video won't come up. Can someone email me the directions?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 1:38pm
post #36 of 136
mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:24pm
post #37 of 136

I thought the OP was referring to the gold portion/2nd tier of the cake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863947@N05/5238310838/

Does anyone know how to do that?

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #38 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetsugar75

That's the same technique, called "billowing." The gal who did the pink cake is the originator of that and she is the one who taught the gal on Flickr with the gold cake how to do it.

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:51pm
post #39 of 136

Wonderful technique. I agree with artscallion that it looks like a think sheet of fondant wrapped around a marshmallow or something.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 3:04pm
post #40 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetsugar75

That's the same technique, called "billowing." The gal who did the pink cake is the originator of that and she is the one who taught the gal on Flickr with the gold cake how to do it.

Yes, but I think mysweetsugar means that the video that people are linking to is how to do the quilted sides, not how to do the gold billowing part, which is what the OP was referring to, I think.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 3:25pm
post #41 of 136

Do you think she made each one than attached them? Its seems it would be hard to get it all even with applying fondant over bulging masses of marshmallow or raised fondant on the side of the cake. How ever she did it, it's beautiful !

artscallion Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 3:33pm
post #42 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

Do you think she made each one than attached them? Its seems it would be hard to get it all even with applying fondant over bulging masses of marshmallow or raised fondant on the side of the cake. How ever she did it, it's beautiful !

My guess is that she did make them all separately before applying them to the cake. Otherwise you wouldn't really be able to get your fingers in there to pinch the ends.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #43 of 136

I have to agree with whoever said marshmallow underneath probably. I've been staring at this picture and contemplating how I would do it, and the options are a lot of cake carving, then put smbc, chill, carve in some more, then thick-ish fondant, then impression it. OR marshmallows individually wrapped and placed. or if it's on a dummy layer, maybe just cotton balls.

I think probably if I were to do it for a real cake layer, I would go with all of the carving.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:35pm
post #44 of 136

i try this gum paste mix w fondont

ctirella Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #45 of 136

sorry i thy to ad a picture but dint workicon_sad.gif

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:44pm
post #46 of 136

I think if you had your rectangle of fondant and had maybe a miniature marshmallow and rolled and pinched the ends and puffed it up and trimmed the edges, kinda of looking like a cellophane wrapped piece a of candy,that might be the way to start to figure this out. I think I may try this today.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:51pm
post #47 of 136

I don't want to sound silly, but are you guys talking about the second tier of the cake that is gold with billows and buttons. That tier doesn't look edible to me, it looks like fabric. Where did you hear that it was fondant? Are you sure?

I'm just curious because if that tier is cake, this person really is a miracle worker. I've never seen anything like it!

ctirella Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #48 of 136

if you loock at my picture you see its pink.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:59pm
post #49 of 136

Ctirella, did you use marshmallows?

ctirella Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:02pm
post #50 of 136

no i just mold and let dry.

pummy Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:17pm
post #51 of 136

I was playing around with this all day yesterday trying to figure this out. I tried to do a row and also individually. Ctirella, did you dry them seperatly then apply it to the cake? Your pic looks good. I think I'm going to try doing each one individually, and attach to the cake. When looking at the picture a slightly darker shade was to be applied to the "folds" to give a realistic appearance.

ctirella Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #52 of 136

i dry individually.

artscallion Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:31pm
post #53 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I don't want to sound silly, but are you guys talking about the second tier of the cake that is gold with billows and buttons. That tier doesn't look edible to me, it looks like fabric. Where did you hear that it was fondant? Are you sure?

I'm just curious because if that tier is cake, this person really is a miracle worker. I've never seen anything like it!

From the description of the cake on the person who made its Flicker page...

"...We worked together on the ivory billowing divider.....it was soo cool and what a super effect!!! After it dried I airbrushed it to give it some depth and luster."

That she says, "after it dried" makes me think it's gumpaste or fondant. Though she could have wet some fabric. She does say that it is a dummy layer. But that doesn't really mean anything regarding the decorations.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:34pm
post #54 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

From the description of the cake on the person who made its Flicker page...

"...We worked together on the ivory billowing divider.....it was soo cool and what a super effect!!! After it dried I airbrushed it to give it some depth and luster."

That she says, "after it dried" makes me think it's gumpaste or fondant. Though she could have wet some fabric. She does say that it is a dummy layer. But that doesn't really mean anything regarding the decorations.

The only thing about it being a dummy layer is you could keep some cotton balls or something in there that wasn't edible.

pummy Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:41pm
post #55 of 136

You wouldn't need cotton balls to get the effect. It can be molded like Ctirella did. Pinch the sides and make indentations with your stick tool.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #56 of 136

It's fondant, I know Andrea and she wouldn't ever use fabric on a cake when she could make it edible.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:02pm
post #57 of 136

I've been following the links you all have posted here and seen more photos of this technique. All I can say is "WOW"! I really thought that was fabric on the cake...amazing!

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:09pm
post #58 of 136

A lot of those competitions require all decorations to be edible.

But to get them all uniform, I bet she did use something underneath while drying and then did not need them once dried. I think I'll try it sometime soon! Looks so fun! =)

Peecheekeeno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peecheekeeno Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:23pm
post #59 of 136

Hi Everyone,
My name's Susan Trianos and I'm the lady who created the Tufted Billoweave (TM) technique. Andrea and I are good friends and so far, she is the only person who I've shared this technique with.

WOW, I had no idea that so many people were interested!! Well, I know you all know that I will be doing a tutorial on this technique in the Jan/Feb issue of Cake Central. Until it's been distributed, I've been asked to keep the method quiet.

So far, nobody has guessed...some are close though.
Thanks for your interest...hold tight, it's coming soon.
Have a great weekend everybody!!
Susan
P.S. Hi Diane icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:26pm
post #60 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peecheekeeno

Hi Everyone,
My name's Susan Trianos and I'm the lady who created the Tufted Billoweave (TM) technique. Andrea and I are good friends and so far, she is the only person who I've shared this technique with.

WOW, I had no idea that so many people were interested!! Well, I know you all know that I will be doing a tutorial on this technique in the Jan/Feb issue of Cake Central. Until it's been distributed, I've been asked to keep the method quiet. So far, nobody has guessed...some are close though.

Thanks for your interest...hold tight, it's coming soon.
Have a great weekend everybody!!
Susan
P.S. Hi Diane icon_biggrin.gif

Pleased to meet you!! I have to ask -- did you ever get your pink cake back???? (Inquiring minds want to know!!) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%