Can't Seem To Bake A Good Cake

Decorating By KMaryP Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm by Sorelle

KMaryP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMaryP Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 9

I could really use some advice as I can't seem to bake a decent cake! I've been using this recipe baked at 325 degrees:
1 box DH cake mix
1 small box instant pudding
1 c sour cream
3 eggs
1/2 c water
1/3 c oil

I used a 9 x 13 nonstick pan sprayed with Pam on the bottom and 2 flower nails. By the time the cake was cooked in the middle (no batter on toothpick), the edges were way over cooked. I tried a second time using 4 flower nails thinking it would help cook the center faster, but had the same results. The edges are almost crisp pulled way away from the pan. I also baked the same recipe in an aluminum shaped (boot) pan and had the same results. Should I try cooking at a lower temp? How can I screw up a cake so badly? icon_redface.gif

Secondly, I find this cake is a bit too moist for my ultra-humid climate. What ingredient should I reduce to eliminate some of the moisture? Less oil? Pudding?

TIA for reading all of my dumb questions. I'm very new to baking and decorating, but this site has big a huge help!

8 replies
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 9

Your recipe is similar to the WASC.

Give this one a shot - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe Never fails me. Once you determine if you like this one you can change up the flavors.

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 9

I think the 1 C sour cream is causing your problems, your cake has too much moisture to cook properly. I use DH all the time with 1 package pudding, an extra egg and recommended amount of oil. I sub the water for half & half of liquid flavored coffee creamer.

For 3" pans I lower the temp to 325 so it bakes longer and evenly. I also use bake even strips.

Hope this helps some and I'm sure others will chime in with some advice.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 9

Before you chalk it up to the mix make sure: Do you have an oven thermometer make sure the temp in the oven is the same as your oven display. Make sure u bake in the center rack. I like to use wet strips (you can use old towels cut in strips) really makes a difference. Good luck!!!!

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with deah. Sounds like a lot of moisture. The WASC (or a half recipe) uses almost the same exact ingredients and amounts (with a little more water or liquid) but you're also adding a cup of flour, a cup of sugar and salt. You'll be amazed at the difference if you go by the WASC recipe and Just like deah said, once you're satisfied with the texture, let the experimentation begin. You can change it up in so many ways to create new flavors.

KMaryP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMaryP Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 9

I haven't tried the WASC recipe. I'll check it out. I gravitated toward the recipe above because I wanted something that would hold up under fondant.

I don't have an oven thermometer, but that's a great idea to check it. It's a new oven and I haven't baked enough in it to know if it's "off". It has both regular and convection modes but all I've used is regular mode. I never had the convection option before and I tend stick to what I know! Gosh, that sounds stupid. I should probably use it and see how it works. icon_razz.gif

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 9

Consider adding flour and sugar (like the others have mentioned for the WASC) since it sounds like this is too moist. WASC is great because it is so easily modified. Tastes great too!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by deah

Your recipe is similar to the WASC.

Give this one a shot - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe Never fails me. Once you determine if you like this one you can change up the flavors.

Definitely try the WASC. Your recipe is similar except you are basically adding the wet ingredients without adding the dry. WASC is my absolute go to recipe, and I do variations for many many different flavors.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 9

I've used this exact recipe many times without problem, get an oven thermometer and check to see if temp is accurate, sounds like it may be too hot an oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%