Stood In Line For 2 Hours For Sprinkles Cupcake Last Night..

Lounge By amygortoncakes Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 11:04pm by Herekittykitty

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 35

So Sprinkles opened a new location here in San Diego so my Mom and I decided to go stand in line with everyone else to try one of these coveted cakes.

The best part of the whole thing was that the line formed around the side of the building where they were pumping out the warm air that smelled like chocolate cake. YUMMY.

Anyways, we finally got in and paide $14 for 4 cupcakes and we took them home to eat them.

I have never had a Sprinkles cupcake and I know that everyone raves about them but I wasn't too impressed. The frosting is good, but there is way too much on the cupcake.

The cakes however just tasted off to me. Like if you used olive oil in place of vegetable oil. Both chocolate cakes had little taste at all.

We were super disappointed. Anyone else not think the world about these cupcakes? Or is just an acquired taste?

34 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 35

I've never had their cupcakes, but you stood in line 2 more hours than I would have! I have no patience for waiting like that....sure am sorry to hear that it wasn't worth the wait, though--lots of hype and no substance is what it sounds like.

Oh... and what did they look like??

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 35

I just had a friend post on FB that she was not impressed with sprinkles either...but maybe they're ok-just the hype about them exceeds the actual product. That sucks you had to wait two hours in line for un-amazing cupcakes.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 35

I would never stand in line for two hours for anything.

Magnolia's bakery line also goes around the corner in NYC. I only try them if they're free gifts that someone sends to the office because I've found out that they're just OK, too, nothing extraordinary.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 35

I haven't been to every bakery in NYC (yet), but so far, the best cupcakes I've had there are the ones from Cupcake Cafe. They use either smbc or imbc, so they're refrigerated. I waited until mine came to room temperature before eating it, and it was so good. The cake was moist and dense, the chocolate was deep and dark (almost like a brownie), and there was just the right amount of frosting on it.

I would love to try a cupcake from one of the food trucks that travel around the City, but there's never one around where I am, and when I go there, I don't feel like scooting around the boroughs to find one.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 35

Something has to really make me melt to my toes for me to be impressed.

My daughter swoons over a particular cupcake shop in town. She gets her birthday cake from there each year. I tasted it. It was good .... but not swoon good. It tasted like cake. Just cake. Plain 'ole regular cake. No biggie.

Sometimes I think taste in all in someone's head. "everyone" says its good so of course we all think its good. I believe this about my own cakes. I internally laugh everytime someone talks about how my cakes don't taste like anything else. yeah they do ... they taste like every other Betty Crocker cake out there! icon_lol.gif but in THEIR head, it tastes 'better'

Oh well! Works for me! icon_rolleyes.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 35

Thank you, Theresa!

I'll make sure one of these days just to turn around from the bus station and go that way before coming to work! IMBC is the only frosting I make. And yes, I always let my cake come to room temperature. I think bakeries have to keep them refrigerated because that's what the health department wants.

I've been to Crumbs, which are better than Magnolia's in my opinion, and I have tried the food trucks, but still no favorites. I'll make sure I try these! I saw some photos and they look good.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Thank you, Theresa!

I'll make sure one of these days just to turn around from the bus station and go that way before coming to work!.

Yep, the one across from Port Authority is the one I always go to. And if I have time, I hit up Amy's Breads up on 9th between 46th & 47th before I go home. Her stuff is absolutely awesome, especially the S bread.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 35

Amy's Breads, just the best. The other day I walked by them and there was a long line. Someone asked one of the people in line: What are people standing in line for? The person answers: We're just buying bread. lol.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 35

the cupcakes were pretty cute. just basic frosting with a little like candy dot on them...some of them had sprinkles. the store was very modern and hip.

like i said, the best part was standing in line with the warm cake air wafting out of the building...LOL

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 35

I've been to the Sprinkles in Beverly Hills, and it sill sometimes has a line out the door. They aren't cupcakes for which I'd wait in a long line. I'd rather go to this little cupcake shop in Burbank called Cupcake and Co. Their cupcakes are the best I've had anywhere. Yummy!

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

like i said, the best part was standing in line with the warm cake air wafting out of the building...LOL

The Sprinkles I went to actually had a sign saying something to the effect of not allowing the door to stay open while waiting in line because their cupcakes will get stale..

And even after all that "no open doors policy" their cupcakes were still nothing to be even slightly impressed about (except maybe the minimalist modern look of them) ..I'm sorry, but I think with all the icing they put on the cupcakes (with no part of the cupcake tops even exposed to air), there is no reason to believe it was the air that caused the cupcakes to taste off.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 35

This post gave me a good laugh. I've got some friends that just had the same experience (but they went to one of the Sprinkles on the east coast) and they said the EXACT same thing you did. Waited in line for 2 hours and the cupcakes were just ok and way too much frosting!

It's like buying brand name vs. store brand -- not necessarily better just more hype behind it!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 35

I decided to start a baking business about 10 years ago after standing in line for over 30 minutes at Magnolia Bakery in NYC to buy undecorated cupcakes for $3/piece (limit 12!!!). And I wasn't super impressed with their cake either!

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 35

I sometimes have wondered if I bought the Sprinkles cupcake mix and made them myself, would they still be dry?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8844714/?catalogId=45&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:03pm
post #16 of 35

We have this same thing here..2 local sister opened up a cupcake shop about 6 years ago here.They now have 2 or 3 locations..anyways...everyone raves about these cupakes and how you wait in line and they are sold out by 1:00 pm everyday and DON'T rebake so if you are standing in line and Joe in front of you buys the last dozen cupcakes..You are Out of luck!!

My SIL brought a few dozen over one night for dinner so we all could try them...Nothing special...Dry and gritty sweet BC icing....I wouldn't give you $1.00 a cupcake let alone the $3.95 they want for them..

Mine are way better...I think what happens is when these people decide to go into business on a large scale they somehow compromise the integrity of their product be massed produced or whatever..Mixes are used sometimes instead of whole ingredients due to cost and the end result is not that of the home baked melt in your mouth goodness we are all used too...

It's funny..I had a bride email me and wanted to know if I could quote on wedding cupcakes..She wanted all the wraps etc..fondant flowers etc..and when I sent her a quote she said way too expensive..I think my price was like $4.50 each with the wraps etc..

So she went on to say that she'll order from Such and such cupcake Place (The one mentioned above)..I said okay fine whatever...but I hope she realizes that mine are wayyy better tasting and presented for her money but they have this pre-conceived notion that because this giant cupcake biz is popular....

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 35

This gave me a good chuckle! Ah, the Sprinkles cupcakes... the closest one we have in the Bay Area is about 30 minutes south in Palo Alto, and I've been tempted to make the drive just to taste one. I live in snobish San Francisco where no matter how good something is, if it came from a chain people automatically claim it "sucks". The big cupcake place here is Kara's Cupcakes, people used to line up around the block for those things and actually fight for the last one - then Kara opened 8 (or so, maybe more) stores and has a mobile truck - same product, but people now claim they "suck".

Mob mentality cracks me up!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:36pm
post #18 of 35

I had a Sprinkles cuppie in AZ last year and wasnt impressed either. I got 6 different flavors and not one of them was very tasteful and they were all dry and they had just been made not an hour prior.
Needless to say I'm not a fan

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 35

From IndyDebi:

Quote:
Quote:

Something has to really make me melt to my toes for me to be impressed.

Indydebi -- you are a woman after my own heart!! I am the same way icon_lol.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 35

Two hours!?... really? your a more patient person than I ever will be. icon_cool.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 35

hee hee, everyone is saying that they wouldn't do it, but I would be right next to you waiting.. lol icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I love cupcakes!!!
Jodi

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm
post #22 of 35

IMAGENTHATNJ: I have tried Magnolia Bakery and they are much better than Billy's cupcakes. I didn't have to stand in line when I went, maybe because at that time it was raining and people just started converging to the bars on a Friday night... but you're right too, I will not wait for a cupcake for 2 hrs. If I see that there's a long line, I will leave or not even attempt to stand in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I would never stand in line for two hours for anything.

Magnolia's bakery line also goes around the corner in NYC. I only try them if they're free gifts that someone sends to the office because I've found out that they're just OK, too, nothing extraordinary.

PLAYINGWITHSUGAR:As for the food trucks, I have tried Cupcake Stop only because it was featured in Food Network where Michael Symon did the Food Wars...was not impressed with it too. BTW, Cupcake stop has a booth at Limelight Marketplace now located on 6th ave bet. 22nd and 21st. Tried Crumbs because it seems that it is the fad right now and my nieces and nephews have been raving about it...not a fan of it too. I have not tried Cupcake Cafe tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I haven't been to every bakery in NYC (yet), but so far, the best cupcakes I've had there are the ones from Cupcake Cafe. They use either smbc or imbc, so they're refrigerated. I waited until mine came to room temperature before eating it, and it was so good. The cake was moist and dense, the chocolate was deep and dark (almost like a brownie), and there was just the right amount of frosting on it.

I would love to try a cupcake from one of the food trucks that travel around the City, but there's never one around where I am, and when I go there, I don't feel like scooting around the boroughs to find one.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:10pm
post #23 of 35

Cupcake Stop is #1 on the Zagat's top cupcakes in NYC list. But there are so many lists, that I don't know which one to believe.

SeriousEats.com lists Baked, the shop in Brooklyn, as #1.

Another list says Magnolia.

I guess I'll just have to buy the day pass and tour the city one day. One day, when the weather is better, and I am not on a diet, that is.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:13pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea223

IMAGENTHATNJ: I didn't have to stand in line when I went, maybe because at that time it was raining and people just started converging to the bars on a Friday night...

Maybe there are more parents with children around here...Rockefeller Center's Magnolia is probably different from the one downtown. But since they're right here, I eat them a lot now, for free, when the company buys them for birthdays. Free is OK!

Funny story: a friend of mine volunteers with poor children in the city. She thought one day to be nice and bring a dozen cupcakes from Magnolias for the children, almost like a luxury present. She was laughing when she told me that the children kept on complaining: "Ms. Smith, I don't like this frosting! These are no good."

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:55pm
post #25 of 35

It seems to me that if a placed is said to be really good and I wait 2 hours in line to purchase something, then it has to be extremely good in order to justify the wait that it could never live up to my expectations. If it's good, but not extremely good, it's a let down.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:04am
post #26 of 35

I MIGHT stand in line for 2 hours to make out with Jon Bon Jovi but not for cupcakes! icon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:17am
post #27 of 35

I can't think of anything I'd stand in line 2 hours for.

Oh, maybe to meet Duff or something..lol, but not for any kind of food.

Sorry it wasn't knock-your-socks-off good; it should be, for that wait!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:55am
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I MIGHT stand in line for 2 hours to make out with Jon Bon Jovi but not for cupcakes! icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Ditto on Jon! He's worth waiting for baby...hubba hubba!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:14am
post #29 of 35

My friend went there too and was texting me. Said it tasted like....a cupcake. With too much frosting. *shrug*

Sometimes I think people buy certain things so they can say they did it. Its that way alot...kids buy Abercrombie because of the name....women buy Coach just because its Coach.... and maybe people buy Sprinkles cupcakes just because...well...its a Sprinkles cupcake I guess.

You don't always get what you pay for...one time I went into Godiva and got myself and a friend a covered strawberry thinking it would be less expensive than pure chocolate. Nope. It was $14 for two berries. And the chocolate wasn't even that thick on them! They were good...but not $14 good!!!!! I'll go home and make a whole tray for that!!!!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Ditto on Jon! He's worth waiting for baby...hubba hubba!

Had to check if my sister wrote this... lol
She LOVES him, more then cupcakes... now, that's love!!!
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%