Bake Even Strips-Cake Sticking To Pan

Baking By FEIwannabe Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm by visionsofprisms

FEIwannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FEIwannabe Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:24am
post #1 of 10

I used the bake-even cake strips on two 6" chocolate cakes today for the first time. My choc cake usually domes quite a bit, so I thought I'd try them. Well, the cakes came out much more level this time.
BUT
when I turned them over to remove from the pans, they stuck a little on the sides and pulled some small parts off along the edges. Also the sides of the cake are more crumbly than they normally are.
Did I do something wrong? Should I have baked for longer? or at a slightly lower temp (I baked at 350)?

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #2 of 10

how did you prepare your pan?
How long did you let your cakes cool in the pan?

FEIwannabe Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:43am
post #3 of 10

I prepared them the same way I normally do, which is with a 'pan grease' recipe which consists of 1 part flour, 1 part shortening, 1/2 part veg oil. I brush the pan with a pastry brush on bottom and sides. I've never had problems with sticking before using this method.
I let the cakes cool about 10 minutes before I flipped them over onto a grid.

I basically did the same as I usually do, except that I used the bake even strips.

I'm wondering if without the strips, the edges bake more, so they come out more easily from the pan. And with the strips the edges are less baked and more tender so they tend to stick.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:30am
post #4 of 10

I had a similar problem using the strips on a 6in pan. I noticed that where the strip overlaps is where the cake stuck. Doesn't happen on any other size. And I bake at 325.

FEIwannabe Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 10

That's good to know. Thanks!
And acutally now that I think about it, it makes sense. A 6" is pretty small, and bakes pretty evenly on the edges as well as the middle due to it's size.
I only had to bake a 6" for this cake (the 9" was already done before I bought the strips) so I was excited to try them. I'll try again with the next cake and a larger size.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 10

I have noticed since using my bake even strips that my edges come out more crumbly like the inside of my cakes and sticking more too. I use Bakers Joy and make sure I spray a lot more than I used to. Sometimes I coat my pans twice just to make sure. No problems since.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 10

The bake even strips are too large for the 6 inch pan and you have to double wrap it in places. This causes the cake not to bake correctly on the edges. I don't use the strips on my 6 inch cakes. They do dome but rise high enough that I can just cut off the dome and still get my 2 inch cake.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 10

I bought a set of strips for each size pan I own. I then cut them to the correct length for that size pan, so there is no overlap. I learned pretty quickly that overlap will cause uneven baking and underdone areas. This way, I have no problems.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 10

I always run a knife around the edge of my pans just in case anything is stuck. Bakers Joy also helps with this problem.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 10

Try using a flower nail instead in a 6 in pan. The strips are to large for that size pan. I normally let my cakes done with bake even strips cool till the edges aren't touching the pan.

But for my 6pm pan I use my flower nail grease it and put it in the center of the pan. I have 15 flower nails just for that use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%