Hatbox Cake, Lid Angle Just Not Right??

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm by artscallion

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 8

My first attempt at a hatbox cake. I just did not like the angle of the lid. Should I have made the wedge shorter, let back of lid hang off cake, I just am not sure. Just a practice cake for sister birthday let me know what you would have done??? Thanks

7 replies
dreamacres Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry picture would not attach. In photos, purple flowers on hatbox

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 8

The site won't let me view any but the first photo...but....from the tiny thumbnail it looks fine, maybe yeah make the wedge shorter next time...looks great!

dreamacres Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 8

thanks kitagrl. Do you think the back should rest of the cake or be slighty hanging off the cake??

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

thanks kitagrl. Do you think the back should rest of the cake or be slighty hanging off the cake??

I think that depends on what look you want, really.... search hatbox cakes in the photos and see which look you prefer! I would probably like slightly off the back edge a bit...

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 8

It's hard to get a good look because there's a problem with the pics lately that doesn't allow you to open the additional view pictures. But from the little thumbnail of the front view it does look like it's open pretty wide. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There's no "right" amount for it to be open.

But if you want it less open next time, I would make the wedge lower and longer. When I did mine, the wedge was only an inch or so high at its highest point. As far as placement, I set the flat part about 3/4 of an inch in from the back of the cake. This allowed the actual back of the lid to rest on the bottom cake without leaving a gap between the two. It graduated from that up to about 1 1/2 inches from the front and sides of the cake. This gave me a good large surface to rest the lid on and a good area to stick the flowers in all around. You can see what it ended up like in my pics.

dreamacres Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks artscallion your cake is awsome!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 8

Yours looks awesome too! I wish they'd fix this pic issue so I could really get a good look! Your flowers are really nicely done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%