Good Cake Turntable?

Decorating By WhiskMeAwayCakes Updated 7 May 2011 , 2:05am by katwomen1up

WhiskMeAwayCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:20am
post #1 of 20

Does anyone have any opinions on good turntables to decorate cakes with? I have the Wilton Turn and Trim Ultra (the green one) and it keeps sticking and making noise. I was looking at maybe the Tilting one they offer or just a regular metal one but dont know what would be best. Any suggestions of which are great and what to stay away from?

Thanks!

19 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 20

You can read the reviews in these threads:

Which Cake Turntable??
http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....table.html

Cake turntables?
http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....table.html

Please Help Me Choose A Turntable
http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....table.html

If you search "turntable" I'm sure you can find more, but you can't view past page 1 of the results right now because of the ongoing glitch.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:54am
post #3 of 20

Wow, funny you posted this, I was going to post something similar, I have a Fad Daddio and I think I hate it.

BabyGerald Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 20

FromScratchSF, may I ask why you (may) hate your Fat Daddio's turntable? I'm considering getting one & haven't heard any negatives yet...

Cheers,
-BabyGerald

FromScratchSF Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 20

BabyGerald, OAKLAND! Hello neighbor!!!!!

I actually got it at Spun Sugar in Berkeley... I don;t like it because it does not turn smooth, and actually seems to have a favorite resting spot so it will spin the direction I want, then creep back the other direction. I've tried to take it appart and oil the ball bearings in it but no bueno. I wish I ordered an Ateco one, seems to be the one I see the pros on TV use the most.

Jen

Coral3 Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:45am
post #6 of 20

I hate my wilton green turntable too! It's awful - it shudders and vibrates as you turn it making it impossible to do anything that requires any precision. Drives me insane. The minute I get my hands on a better one its going in the garbage!

I've heard that IKEA sells a lazy susan that works well as a caking turntable. I've not tried it myself, but they'd certainly be a cheap option if they work (and are perfectly level - you've got to watch for that if using a lazy susan, because so often they're not!)

RE your issue with the wilton one, have you tried taking it apart to make sure there's nothing obviously interfering with the bearings? I did that when I first got mine, and found rough edges on the plastic ring that houses the bearings. When I trimmed it off it did turn smoothly for about 12 months (it's back to it's old tricks again now though unfortunately, and I can't find the problem.)

crushed Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:01am
post #7 of 20

I love my Ateco turntable. It's incredibly smooth. Some days I feel like I could write love songs about it. icon_wink.gif

mcaulir Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:14am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushed

I love my Ateco turntable. It's incredibly smooth. Some days I feel like I could write love songs about it. icon_wink.gif




Would you? icon_biggrin.gif

Bettyviolet101 Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #9 of 20

Oh my goodness I LOVE my fat daddio turntable!!! It is sooo smooth and just amazing. It helped me so much! Thats the one I would get. Besides that the thing is a beast. No plastic all metal. I love how heavy and strong it is.

Niki11784 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 20

I bought a good pottery turntable on amazon, for $30 and I love it. It doesnt tilt, but it turns SO smoothly.

sweetie78 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 20

Ikea, lazy susan for like, $8. It's big enough to do larger cakes, and it's smooth when it turns. Best $8 I've spent.

Atomikjen Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushed

I love my Ateco turntable. It's incredibly smooth. Some days I feel like I could write love songs about it. icon_wink.gif




I couldn't agree with you more! <3

kendra_83 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 20

I love my Ateco!

Swede-cakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 20

My Ateco is one of two appliances I've fallen in love with since buying it a few months ago! (The other being a French door refrigerator!) The Ateco stays level, is heavy and spins like a dream. I bought it on Amazon.com for $42.65 w/ free shipping.

Been using the Wilton tilting one for 3 years now, and tilting feature is neat but the darn plate wobbles on it's base. Hard to tell if your cake is level when your stand isn't! I've tried to take it apart to see if I can fix it but it's just plastic and a screw. It's been retired now!

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 20

I recently purchased a double sided turntable from Amazon that I am in LOVE with. One side is a 10 inch round cake table and the other is a sheet cake (large enough for a 14x20 sheet cake) turntable.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A02TR4/?tag=cakecentral-20

For $43.99, the turntable is well worth the money. Very durable and rotates with ease.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 20

If you're going to go with Ateco, see if your local Sam's Club will sell you one of theirs. That's the brand they use and they could order you a fresh one. I believe the price is about $35 which is the cheapest I've seen for Ateco. While you do it also ask about ordering other supplies. They may order some of those for you too. You wouldn't have to pay shipping then.

Other than that, I would go with Ikea. I might have to run up their tonight to check it out!

BabyGerald Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 20

I spoke with one of our local, master decorating pros (the owner of Spun Sugar in Berkeley, CA) recently at a cake show about this.

She overwhelmingly recommended the Ateco (and they stopped carrying the Fat Daddio's) b/c the FD model would settle at a favorite spot, just like CC'er FromScratchSF mentioned in their post above. [Theory: So many people love their FD model, maybe there is variation in production quality?]

Based on Spun Sugar's sub-optimal track record with the FD model, I'm gonna try the Ateco. This is an amazing thread, btw, it is so valuable hearing the experiences of other CC'ers.


FromScratchSF: so great to hear from you! I looove your screen name & signature... I'm all about scratch-baking everything & have defected from a career in science to focus on custom cakes. Perhaps shoot me an email/PM if you'd like to swap stories? Cheers, neighbor!

Sangriacupcake Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:16pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cake-At-ATime

I recently purchased a double sided turntable from Amazon that I am in LOVE with. One side is a 10 inch round cake table and the other is a sheet cake (large enough for a 14x20 sheet cake) turntable.

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A02TR4/?tag=cakecentral-20

For $43.99, the turntable is well worth the money. Very durable and rotates with ease.




This is the one I have. Works great!

FromScratchSF Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:51pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGerald

I spoke with one of our local, master decorating pros (the owner of Spun Sugar in Berkeley, CA) recently at a cake show about this.

She overwhelmingly recommended the Ateco (and they stopped carrying the Fat Daddio's) b/c the FD model would settle at a favorite spot, just like CC'er FromScratchSF mentioned in their post above. [Theory: So many people love their FD model, maybe there is variation in production quality?]

Based on Spun Sugar's sub-optimal track record with the FD model, I'm gonna try the Ateco. This is an amazing thread, btw, it is so valuable hearing the experiences of other CC'ers.


FromScratchSF: so great to hear from you! I looove your screen name & signature... I'm all about scratch-baking everything & have defected from a career in science to focus on custom cakes. Perhaps shoot me an email/PM if you'd like to swap stories? Cheers, neighbor!




Think they'll take my FD back? It was 80 bucks I think!

Jen

katwomen1up Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:05am
post #20 of 20

I have the two sided turn table also, it's awesome! Well worth the 44 dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%