To Those Who Refrigerate Fondant....

Decorating By greengyrl26 Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 4:59am by greengyrl26

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:08am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I've researched the various threads here, and have seen many opinions on this subject. So, I now have a very specific question, aimed toward a very specific group of you.

I always, (ALWAYS) put my fondant cakes in the fridge. Before frosting, after frosting, after fondant, after decorating, right up until delivery. This works for me. I know that it doesn't work for everyone, but I've never had an issue. Yes, there is minor condensation when you first take the cake out, but if you don't touch it, within 20 minutes, the cake is perfectly fine.

SO...I got an airbrush for Christmas (thanks Santa!). I'm about to airbrush some Americolor airbrush pearl onto my cakes. TO THOSE OF YOU WHO REFRIDGERATE YOUR CAKES:

1. Do I wait until after the condensation from the fridge is gone to airbrush?
2. If I put it back in the fridge as normal after airbrushing, when it comes to room temperature again during delivery...will it bleed or will the color be set?

I'm dying to get spraying, so hopefully someone sees this & can help me out tonight!
Thanks so much!!
icon_smile.gif

8 replies
trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 9

I would suggest a "test run" because it is usually personal opinion that you will end up getting, and for some, it may work one way - and others another. It could depend on the weather where you live, the actual temp of your fridge, the quality of the cake colors, etc. I would think that if you wait until the condensation dries once you intially take it out of the fridge, it would be best - but putting it in a second time and having it condensate again, would probably make the airbrush run. But this just my thought processes at work.... you might want to try with a 4 inch tier and try it a few different ways. Good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

No I airbrush immediately when it comes out....sometimes I chill again for awhile if its going to be humid...cuz it will dry again in the fridge. I haven't had a problem with colors running but then I live in PA...so its humid, but not southern-humid.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 9

Wish I was posting w some valuable advice.....but I'm just posting to say I'm sooooo jealous of the Santa that came to your house!!! So want a sprayer....goodluck!!!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:47am
post #5 of 9

I put all my fondant cakes in the fridge. If I'm worried at all about condensation, I put the cake inside a huge garbage bag and close the top with a pipe cleaner. I learned that in a Mike McCarey class and it does away with all the condensation and doesn't mess the cake up at all.

Now to answer your original question. If the cake coming out had condensation, then I would wait for it to dry before airbrushing. When I airbrush, I make sure it is good and dry (set) before I chill again. Light colors (like pearl) won't run, but darker colors I will bag up. HTH!

greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:09am
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone for your responses! I've sprayed and they are now back in the fridge!
Cupadee...thank you so much! I'll have to try the bag trick, that's one I've never heard before. Also...I've been to Tunnel Hill, GA! icon_wink.gif

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:32am
post #7 of 9

Let us know what you figure out. I'm curious myself!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:55am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Also...I've been to Tunnel Hill, GA! icon_wink.gif

What happened, did you lose a bet? icon_lol.gif Let me know if you ever come back through, maybe we can meet up!

The bag trick works very well, I use a big white can liner; it's the biggest size that Sam's carries.

greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:59am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Also...I've been to Tunnel Hill, GA! icon_wink.gif

What happened, did you lose a bet? icon_lol.gif Let me know if you ever come back through, maybe we can meet up!

The bag trick works very well, I use a big white can liner; it's the biggest size that Sam's carries.

Ha! Well, kind of....
I dated a guy from there when I was in college. We traveled to Tunnel Hill for Thanksgiving so I could meet his family. Lets just say, it wasn't one of my greatest trips & the relationship didn't last much longer!!! icon_wink.gif
But we drive past there rather often on our way to FL. I will definitely stop in the next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%