New Cricut Cake To Be Released In 2011?

Decorating By danibuttercup Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 3:59am by tryingcake

danibuttercup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danibuttercup Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 14

I went to Michaels today and wanted to know how come the Cricut Cake has been sold out for several months now. They told me that there's a new Cricut Cake machine due to be released in March of 2011, so they decided to liquidate whatever cartridges and accessories they had left (no wonder all the cartridges went down in price so much).

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have the original Cricut Cake and I HATE it. I tried every suggestion from both Cricut and from other users, but nothing works. I'm wondering if they decided to fix all the kinks in the original machine.

13 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 14

my understanding is cause they are being replaced with the martha stewart one.
xx

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 14

Yes it's the same machine (as far as I'm aware), just in a different colour and with Martha Stewart's name plastered all over it so they can hike up the price.

czymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czymom Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:54am
post #4 of 14

I like my Cricut Cake. It takes a little getting used to and some trial and error.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:06am
post #5 of 14

I actually saw the Martha Stewart version of the Cricut cake and it was about $100 cheaper than the original one and was white instead of red. It's still an over-rated machine. I hated mine and sent it back to HSN before my deadline and got a full refund.

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:23am
post #6 of 14

I also love my circut cake... I have the mini...

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:40am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by danibuttercup

I went to Michaels today and wanted to know how come the Cake has been sold out for several months now. They told me that there's a new Cake machine due to be released in March of 2011, so they decided to liquidate whatever cartridges and accessories they had left (no wonder all the cartridges went down in price so much).

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have the original Cake and I HATE it. I tried every suggestion from both and from other users, but nothing works. I'm wondering if they decided to fix all the kinks in the original machine.

Huh, well my Michales told me that they pulled all models of Cricuts and are unsure if they are even going to stock the accessories because Cricuts are now going to be sold at JoAnne's under an exclusive contract (where you can now buy the Mini and accessories). Anyway, don't know how true that is or how informed my sales girl was.

The Martha version is on sale for $100 on Amazon though...

pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:33am
post #8 of 14

hhmmm all very interesting....i will be at CHA in a couple weeks and always meet with the VP of product development for provocraft so i am curious about all of this.

as for my cricut cake machine i too have a love hate relationship with it but i think it is mostly because i know nothing about working with gumpaste and fondant icon_razz.gif it DOES take longer than using regular cutters but i have SO many more options to cut with it......

FanTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FanTam Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 14

I just received my Cricut Cake for Christmas and I am trying to find a discussion/forum that has tips and tricks. Can someone direct me?

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 14

I have the plain old Cricut (I think Cricut Personal? Not sure - the one that was $89 a year ago). I cut fondant/gumpaste with it all the time. How does the cake version justify being 4 times the price? How does it differ? I'm not being a smart aleck -I really want to know.

I love mine by the way. I only own the the cartridge it came with. I do my own stuff using Sure Cuts A Lot. I use flexible food grade cutting boards over the sticky pad that comes with the machine.

I just haven't been able to justify the extra expense based on everything I've read. What so you all know that I haven't figured out? So, I'm really asking - why does it matter if the cake version is available or not?

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 14

FanTam, try http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-700374-cricut.html or http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678930-cricut.html. You can also do a forum search for cricut.

tryingcake - the Cricut Cake is the same machine as the Expression with plastic overlays and covers to prevent food items from getting into crevices. I believe the machine you have is more similar to the Cricut Cake Mini. Depending on what sales you can find, usually the cake versions are about the same price as the regular Cricuts.

tryingcake Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 14

Got it! When I bought mine they were advertising for the :"Coming Soon" cake version. It was marketing for $249-ish. I thought, no way!! I will pay good money for things that are worth it. But I'm feeling it wasn't worth that price difference then. When mine wears out. I'll consider the cake version since the price has come down.

FanTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FanTam Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 14

I am not a scrapbooker, so I've never used a Cricut before - but I like to dabble in cake decorating, which is why I wanted the Cricut Cake instead. When it first came out you couldn't get one for less than about $249 (Ebay about $220) but my daughter got this one at Michael's clearance for $149. It is a 12x12, so I think that price is pretty comparable to the regular Cricut. I never even knew there was a mini version - I probably would have opted for that one instead. But as soon as I'm able to find a product that works well with it, I'm sure I'll love it - right now, its all about practice, practice, practice (and trial & error).

Thanks for the tips on the forum sites - I'll check them out.

tryingcake Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #14 of 14

I don't scrapbook either. I bought my non-cake version strictly for caking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%