Hard Floor Steam Cleaner?

Lounge By leily Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 7:06pm by FullHouse

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking at purchasing a steam cleaner to clean vinyl, hardwood, and tile flooring in my home. Anyone have any recommendations? When i do a google search and check out reviews online i get a list of about 5-6 that all have good feedback, just looking for some more incase i'm missing something that isn't one of the big name brands.

6 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 7

We just got a Shark for Christmas, and so far, so good.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:03am
post #3 of 7

I have a shark works great for me, i've had it for about 6mos or so.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #4 of 7

I was also interested in purchasing a steam mop (after seeing the commercials) for our laminate floors. But after doing more research, it turns out that the little mop and the laminate/hardwood floor cleaner from Menards works just fine!

Some info to consider before steam cleaning hardwood/laminate floors:

http://www.woodfloordoctor.com/_how_tos/articles/steam_mop.shtml

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_use_a_steam_cleaner_to_clean_hardwood_floors

http://www.onlinetips.org/steam-cleaning-hardwood-floors

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 7

Jan - thanks for those links. After reading them it makes sense. When we put in hardwood floors this next year i will make sure NOT to use a steam mop on them! I"ll look for the mop/cleaner you mentioned at menard's

Thanks for the other recommendations, our kitchen/dinning area is about 30'x20' and then we also have an entryway and hallway all with vinyl flooring that's been in the house for about 14 years and i don't think the previous owners every got on their hands and knees and scrubbed it, i have and just can't do that every week.
With a little one just starting to crawl and a little older one who wants to eat everything she drops on the floor i think it's time i found a more efficient way to clean the floor (and i'm hoping the steam helps sanitize it a little better than replacing a bucket of water every 5 mins_

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 7

We have hard wood and tile in our home and hubby got me the shark steam mop it's the "pocket steam mop" or something like that. The one that flips so you can use both sides of the pad. It's around 100-140 in the stores and he got it for around 50 off ebay. I LOVE IT! I have hardwood in my kitchen so when I get done spilling cake crumbs and icing all over it's super easy to get it all up. I sweep and one swipe of the steam mop and the floor is good to go. It comes with a large rectangle and small rectangle attachment, a triangular shaped one for corners and behind the toilet and even a glider to steam over carpets....plus it has a super long cord which i like.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 7

I've had the Monster steam mop (red one) for about 6 months and LOVE it. I use it on my pre-finished hardwoods, ceramic tile; I also have a pad devoted to my granite counter tops & wood tables. It gets all sorts of things off my counters & tables that I haven't been able to clean easily otherwise. I did quite a bit of research and found that the steam temperature is very important, some of the other mops don't get hot enough to actually sanitize (a few manufacturers say in the instructions to leave mop in contact with surface for 15 seconds to sanitize, to me that is completely unrealistic). I can mop about 1800 sq. feet in under 1/2 hour, which includes cooling, refilling/reheating the tank once. I found the best price for my mop was on Amazon. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%