Dowl Rods For A 2 Tier Cake?

Decorating By goeasycakes Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 1:30am by neelycharmed

goeasycakes Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:26am
post #1 of 13

I'm making my first tiered cake in a week or so and am wondering on dowl rods. Do I need to put some in for a 2 tiered cake? The bottom tier will be 9" and the top will be 6". I will be traveling less than 1 mile from my home with this cake.


12 replies
DSmo Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:04am
post #2 of 13

Yep. You need them. You'll need dowels in the bottom to support the top. And you'll need on down through the center to keep the tiers together.

Or you can use SPS. Leah has all the info on that!

SugarKissesCakery Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 13

You absolutely need supports for a stacked cake for stability. I use bubble tea straws for support. Wooden dowels are difficult to cut straight. I've done 4 tier wedding cakes and used bubble tea straws with no problems at all.

goeasycakes Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the responses. Where can I find bubble tea straws?

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 13
Originally Posted by goeasycakes

Thanks for the responses. Where can I find bubble tea straws?

Asian grocery stores.

FlourPots Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 13

Just a first cake was tiered - 8" bottom/6"on top...I thought 3 dowels would be fine, since the 6" aren't that big.

You can see what happend on this thread (scroll down):

I would never use less than four on a 6", so it's balanced.

icer101 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 13

Hi, i dowels each tier with wooden dowels or bubble tea straws, but i also put the long pointed dowel thru these 2 tiers on into the cake board . Or i use the sps system. I would never deliver one not supported with the long pointed wooden dowel thru it, unless of course i am using the sps system. I would never take that chance, even with it being secured some with the buttercream. even with fondant stacked cakes. i use the wooden pointed dowel down thru the center. some people just use r/i to secure these two tiers. and not the long wooden dowels. we all do things different. that is ok!! But we need to make sure our cakes are safe for traveling, not matter the distance.

neelycharmed Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 13

I use bubble tea straws too, they are great! icon_smile.gif
I know a lot of people also use SPS but I can't buy it here...
And I always get use them for any size tiered cakes..
Cake does not support cake, words to live by.. lol
Jodi icon_smile.gif

goeasycakes Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 13

what is SPS?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:10am
post #10 of 13

Single Plate Separator and the instructions are around page 15:

Linliv46 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 12:46am
post #11 of 13

I know this is probably a dumb question and I have the bubble tea straws, but my question is do you just cut the straws and put them thru the tier withou connecting to anything--like the cake circles? Then place the tier on top of that?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:02am
post #12 of 13

Yes, the boba tea straws are done just like a dowel rod.

See this but of course without the pillars:

neelycharmed Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:30am
post #13 of 13

I buy straws from ebay, super cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%