My Cakes Look Lumpy!

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 1:33pm by indydebi

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:00am
post #1 of 11

I have been caking for 2 years, so you would think by now I should have it down..right...wrong! For the life of me I can not get my buttercream smooth and even. I do the "viva" method for smoothing, my problem is the buttercream is always uneven causing it to look lumpy. It's not really bad, but I notice it. What really made it stand out for me is that I did my first "faux" tier for a x-mas wedding cake. The bottom is faux and the top square tier is cake. The bottom looks fantastic and my tier looks...well.....lumpy! I have seen the Shugarshack DVD..I use some of her techniques, but I still have issues...

What do I do? How can I master this?

10 replies
Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 11

I haven't been doing cakes very long but have noticed that if I make the buttercream a day or two ahead of time, it smooths on much easier. I also recently starting using one of those big putty knives instead of the Wilton spatulas and it works amazing! Now my biggest problem is getting the frosting too thick on the top! oh well....practice, practice, practice!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 11

I have switched to using the huge icer tip to get an even coating of icing on the cake. It helps

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #4 of 11

I would recommend using an icing tip to put your buttercream on the cake. It gives you a fairly even coat to start with and then you can use Sharon's techniques. I would also recommend using a fondant smoother instead of your hands when you are "viva-ing" the cake.

I do mostly buttercream work (folks just don't like and won't pay for fondant) and I have definately improved over time.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I have switched to using the huge icer tip to get an even coating of icing on the cake. It helps

thumbs_up.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #6 of 11

I'm a huge fan of my plaster/drywall knives I buy from Home Depot. I start off with a relatively hot knife and then spin the bezjeebies out of the cake.

The plaster/drywall knives are in the contractor section of HD and Lowe's.

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:19am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

same here, there is no question that i have an even amount of icing on the cake using this tip.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 11

I use my bench scraper because you can rest it on its flat side on the turntable. This puts the long edge you'll be using at a perfectly straight vertical along the side of the cake. The you just hold the scraper in place and spin the turntable. Perfect straight edges every time.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 11

Don't have a good conecctiln to look at pictures. But if ur fake cake is fine, and the reall cakes aren't, is the problem more that u get a bulge where the filling is?
xx

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for the replies....I will try the icer tip next time!

I don't have buldges in the cake, I have uneven spots....Like the top is never quite even with the amount of BC...then when I lay fondant on it, you can really see it. I just went to HD today for the large bench scraper, hopefully this will work better then the tiny one I have.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 11

In my early days, what i noticed I was doing was icing to the shape of the cake. i thought I had to have an "even" layer of icing, meaning it should be, for example, 1/4" thick all the way around. So if I had a dip in the cake (uneven leveling), then I'd have a dip in the icing. If the corners on a square cake were lower than the center, then so was the icing.

Once I learned that I can use the icing to fix the bumps and hollows, everything went much smoother! (Pun intended!!!) thumbs_up.gif

My favorite tool is the bench scraper to get icing on smooth and even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%