Vivid Red Buttercream Icing

Decorating By starr7 Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 5:02am by ConfectionsCC

starr7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starr7 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 15

I am trying to do a detroit redwings jersey cake and the icing keeps looking too pink. I am using wiltons no taste red and would like any tips on getting the red a bright red.

thank you in advance

14 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 15

Let it sit for a an hour or so. The color will darken over time.

KimberlysKakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberlysKakery Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 15

I stopped using Wilton for red. I love Americolor!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 15

It takes a lot of color to get an intense red. I have had to use a whole Wilton container before and then let it set up over night. Another CCer uses Americolor SuperRed and a dot of black, and lets it setup over a day or two.

starr7 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 15

if i used some red jello powder in the icing will that help at all? unfortunately i have to get this cake done tonight

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 15

Wilton colors suck. The only gel color I've found that makes a true "Christmas Red" is the CK brand gel "Super Chinese Red".

I start with a colored icing-usually pink- or even a Wilton red color and take it to a bright pink, then add the Chinese Red(still takes a lot, but less than trying to color it from white).

I've heard others like to use the powdered colors.

And definitely allow the icing to sit for several hours or over night for best results.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 15

I have heard people use pulverized dried strawberries, but I'm not even sure where you get that.

I read a blog where the blogger uses melted candymelts to color fondant a vivid red. Not sure if you can try something like that if you get in real trouble about this. I read you have to get this done tonight.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 15

I would be afraid of using the jello powder. I think it will ruin the icing. Do you have more of the red paste? If not can someone make a run for you? Do you have a cake decorating store in your area? If so, and can make a run, ask if they have any Powder colors for icing (Not for gumpaste flowers).

You might try taking a small amount to test with and dip a toothpick in black and then touch it to some red to see if that will darken it up. EZ does it!

starr7 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 15

ty for the tips =) i have lots of red still left and will try adding just a bit of black to it and see if that will help get the colour. I have been reading and lots of ppl use the americolour i will have to look around and see if anyone carries them here or not.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 15

Using black might actually dull the color. Keep adding the red if that's the only one you have. Is the cake gonna be served tonight? Because it's it's gonna be served tomorrow, go ahead and use the red icing as it is and by the time it's served tomorrow, it will have darkened.

starr7 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #11 of 15

yes the cake is going to be served tomorrow so i will have time =) crumbcoat done and its in the fridge hardening while hubby makes his bread.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 2:27am
post #12 of 15

I get good results from Wilton 'no taste' red mixed with equal parts of Christmas red.

Christy

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr7

yes the cake is going to be served tomorrow so i will have time =) crumbcoat done and its in the fridge hardening while hubby makes his bread.

I had a good chuckle over this! I'm a caker and my husband is the bread baker in our house too. We fight over the kitchen!

I find that mixing my red into my buttercream and letting it sit over night intensifies the color.
Good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #14 of 15

no matter what brand(i have them all) i have to use a lot of red color or black color or brown color,etc. Yes they intensify overnite.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Using black might actually dull the color. Keep adding the red if that's the only one you have. Is the cake gonna be served tonight? Because it's it's gonna be served tomorrow, go ahead and use the red icing as it is and by the time it's served tomorrow, it will have darkened.

DONT ADD BLACK OR BROWN!! IT WILL DULL THE COLOR!! I know this because I just tried it the other day! I ended up using an entire bottle of wilton no-taste red to one BC recipe, it looked like a lighter red,but I gave up and put it on the cake anways (just for my family to eat it so who cares!) The next morning it looked beautiful! Red and black always deepen after a few hours. but do not add the black, not only will it dull, it will start to turn more of a burgundy color than christmas red

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%