Stop With The Negativity!

Lounge By Frecklysmom Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 11:46pm by Karen421

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:31am
post #91 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayMakesCakes

Why say "your cake sucks" why not say "maybe it would be better if you leveled your cake before you iced it".

Again ..... in my many many browsing of practically all of the threads on here, I cannot recall EVER seeing a comment such as "your cake sucks", ergo I believe exaggerated statements like this are posted just for the purpose of getting something started and detract from any credibility.

In my experience on CC, if anyone EVER flat out said "your cake sucks", then I'm willing to bet the rest of us CC'ers would go down the throat of the person who made such a statement, because we aren't going to let you beat up our little sister! Anyone who has been on here any length of time knows that like any family, we bicker, we fight .... and we're VERY protective of each other!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:33am
post #92 of 125

Where did it say it was a wedding cake? All I saw was a 4 tier cake.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #93 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Where did it say it was a wedding cake? All I saw was a 4 tier cake.

fluffers started another thread, and it is a "tire" cake, not a 4 "tier" cake she's making. It's a grooms cake for her brother at his wedding.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:40am
post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Why say "your cake sucks" why not say "maybe it would be better if you leveled your cake before you iced it".

Again ..... in my many many browsing of practically all of the threads on here, I cannot recall EVER seeing a comment such as "your cake sucks", ergo I believe exaggerated statements like this are posted just for the purpose of getting something started and detract from any credibility...

Not at all, Indy.
So what do you do when someone passively does it?
If it's not blatant it's just as bad. Stings as much. It's still wrong.
Passive aggressives suck.

Here's a recent example paraphrased, "My cake will be decorated cleaner than that one." It's an underhanded way of saying the cake is not decorated in a clean way. Did they come out and say 'this cake sucks' --yes they did. Now what.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #95 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:

Quote:

Again ..... in my many many browsing of practically all of the threads on here, I cannot recall EVER seeing a comment such as "your cake sucks", ergo I believe exaggerated statements like this are posted just for the purpose of getting something started and detract from any credibility...

Not at all, Indy.
So what do you do when someone passively does it?
If it's not blatant it's just as bad. Stings as much. It's still wrong.
Passive aggressives suck.

Here's a recent example paraphrased, "My cake will be decorated cleaner than that one." It's an underhanded way of saying the cake is not decorated in a clean way. Did they come out and say 'this cake sucks' --yes they did. Now what.

Not that I'm always correct in my way of approaching people, I screw up just like every one else, even when I mean the best at heart. But how I TRY to approach these posts:

I do not offer advice unless asked. If they didn't ask what they could have done better, I don't tell. Now, we also know there are people who ask, get GOOD advice and still get their feelings hurt. Don't ask if you don't want to know. But that's a whole other subject. Back to topic.....

You can ALWAYS find something nice to say. Always. I've seen some horrible sloppy cakes but their coloring was perfect. So I say - "that is an awesome red! Great job!"

Or maybe the borders rocked, or something as simple as the flavor sounding yummy. I've seen designs I didn't like, but the cake was as level as perfect can get and nice and neat - and I say so. I don't lie, but I also TRY not offend. Or maybe they are doing a technique I don't care for - I can still appreciate the skill needed to execute it and say so. I don't care for basketweave cakes - but I can appreciate a nicely done job none-the-less. That's hard on the hands! And keeping those lines straight - wow! Or all those stars on the character cakes. Personally I would never buy a character pan (only because they are limiting - not because I see anything wrong with the pan itself), but I can respect the decorator who stood there piping a thousand stars on one.

There is always something nice to say, and still be honest. You only have to look inside yourself to find it.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:07am
post #96 of 125

k8, I'll give ya that one. But its also a good example of what I said because we had CC'ers come to the defense of the original caker and reprimand the OP for phrasing it the way she did. To that OP's credit, she did apologize and clarify what she meant to say, after a number of CC'ers pointed out how her phrasing was a little severe.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:14am
post #97 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I don't care for basketweave cakes - but I can appreciate a nicely done job none-the-less. That's hard on the hands! And keeping those lines straight - wow! Or all those stars on the character cakes. Personally I would never buy a character pan (only because they are limiting - not because I see anything wrong with the pan itself), but I can respect the decorator who stood there piping a thousand stars on one.

Amen! And anyone who has done those thousands of stars is nodding their head along with us! icon_lol.gif I personally don't like topsy turvy cakes. I think they are the silliest looking things ever. but I absolutely respect the talent it takes to create one! thumbs_up.gif There's a difference between doing a bad job and doing something that is just not my taste.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:15am
post #98 of 125

I have to say,99% of the people in CC are very nice, and very helpful. Anywhere in life you will find someone who wants to be unpleasant. I personally have had nasty private messages sent to me, but other than that I can't say I have ever seen a nasty comment like your cake is ugly???? No, and hope I never will. Merry Christmas everyone!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:25am
post #99 of 125
Quote:

k8, I'll give ya that one. But its also a good example of what I said because we had CC'ers come to the defense of the original caker and reprimand the OP for phrasing it the way she did. To that OP's credit, she did apologize and clarify what she meant to say, after a number of CC'ers pointed out how her phrasing was a little severe.

Indy, I guess her mea culpas seemed sincere but all she had to do was edit her post. What. And the girl who made the cake eventually saw the thread and that's nothing but shitty.

When we skim posts it's easy to overlook those underhanded sucker punches but they are so there. And so some of us take those folks to task just like you said--and we got scars to prove it too.

There are definitely people who get banned off here repeatedly--thank God--but unfortunately reincarnate themselves and you can totally hear their same ass-y 'voice' in their posts. They try & come up with a new identity--but you can read 'em like a newspaper that's been wrapped around week old fish.

phhfffft phffft phffft--good riddance (to them, the bad apples)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:39am
post #100 of 125

exactly k8. the person who sends me nasty stuff gets kicked out and changes the name slightly and comes right back.....they are sad...........Im sorry to hear this happened to someone in here....I know it cna get heated, but hey many different personalities its bound to happen. Merry Christmas!!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:41am
post #101 of 125

I raised a hyperactive child. There were a lot of hills I did not fight on. Jump on the furniture ok, eat between meals ok, stay up too late (mercy) ok, special dispensation at school, ok. Disrespect? Battalions and fleets and Green Berets and Rangers and Seals and fighter jets, Sumo wrestlers, Ninja warriors and nuclear weapons would be armed and deployed for starters--instant war to the death. I win!

Ad hominem attacks are always wrong. Always. To the person, to the person's cake--wrong. And guys, everybody knows the difference between constructive criticism and pissing on somebody especially if it's passive aggressive.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:36am
post #102 of 125

Fluffers - I do owe you an apology if you are a new person here. There is a history of people who join and rejoin and rejoin under different names, just to cause trouble. They have been banned repeatedly. It was a streak of bad luck (?) that you started posting at about the same time another dissappeared.

I hope you find the good in CC, there is a lot of it here. I was wrong to jump to an assumption, and we all know what doing that makes me look like.

indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:39am
post #103 of 125

Loucinda, you are one class act, and having you as part of our CC family is a great asset!!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:44am
post #104 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Welcome to CC Cindalou_xx!

It happens often enough. There are so many threads in all the forums so every now and then it happens you probably haven't ran across one yet.

It's really sad.

For the past two days a radio personality in my city has asked his listeners and followers on facebook to post pictures of their Christmas trees on fb. OMG! The negative comments that some people are writing are just plain ridiculous; their bashing peoples trees, taste and homes. I'm wondering what happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"? I mean really, for real people; bashing peoples trees? I'm sick of negative, mean spirited people!

A morning show radio host in MY town started a movement called BeDifferent, find it here: http://bedifferentpact.com/ It's exactly about what we're talking about...it's the norm today to be negative and rude to each other and he's trying to change it. I know him personally and he's an awesome guy! I applaud his efforts and it's really catching on!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:53am
post #105 of 125

Indy - thank you. I don't like being a negative person, (maybe that is why I am up so late tonight? Can't sleep!) I truely am sorry to have offended a new person. It goes against all I stand for. I care a lot about this community of cake friends.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 8:34am
post #106 of 125

theres far more good than negative here so I stick around. I love CC...I get where the OP is coming from though. Some times instead of being constructive posts are just plain rude. But...theres rude people in life and on the net...I just ignore them and move along as I would if I were in a public place.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 12:41pm
post #107 of 125

Wow, I've been at the hospital with my daughter for the past couple of days, so I missed all this. IMO there are too many people online who want to be offended by anything that comes along. If you all think this board is bad you should go check out some business and SEO boards! This is nothing compared to what is said on some of those. In the meantime I have to go get some sleep before I go back to the hospital, so before people start accusing me of posting then not responding fast enough it's because I have more pressing matters to attend to.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:17pm
post #108 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Wow, I've been at the hospital with my daughter for the past couple of days, so I missed all this. IMO there are too many people online who want to be offended by anything that comes along. If you all think this board is bad you should go check out some business and SEO boards! This is nothing compared to what is said on some of those. In the meantime I have to go get some sleep before I go back to the hospital, so before people start accusing me of posting then not responding fast enough it's because I have more pressing matters to attend to.

I hope your daughter is going to be ok and all goes well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time I mentioned in a post that I thought you weren't going to respond to something because you did not post for a while. So I'm thinking you are correct here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

IMO there are too many people online who want to be offended by anything that comes along.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 1:48pm
post #109 of 125

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery Costume and keeping your family in my prayers.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 2:24pm
post #110 of 125

I get lots and lots of really good information from CC. I rarely post or read post. I have found this forum on many occasions to be clickish, judgemental and self righteous. Oh and condiscending. But, I have a choice not to post, so I don't. Other bakers I know feel pretty much the same. In my circle CC has a reputation for being a very negative place.

That said the good outweighs the bad. The information on this site is invaluable. This is a place I come for learning and new ideas. And to look at beautiful cakes.

If you seek negativity you will find it here. I you seek good information about caking you will definately find it here.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #111 of 125

I think you find clickish, judgemental and self righteous everywhere you go. It's in the schools, work place, clubs, military etc., it's not just this site. If you haven't seen it any where else you must never leave your house. It's just part of the human race and it's never going to change. You can talk till you're blue in the face but you can't make people be the way "you want them to be". Everyone has their own personality and there will always be someone it will clash with. It's a waste of time, energy and breath to try and make every one "perfect" like some people think they are. People are never going to agree on everything and some people are never going to get along so why and try and make them? Think I'll go use my energy on something else........Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and lives their life as their own person.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:01pm
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnincakes

Other bakers I know feel pretty much the same. In my circle CC has a reputation for being a very negative place.

You certainly can have your own perception. But this amazes me. This site is kittens and lollipops compared to almost every other forum I know. In fact, I know lots of bakers who won't come here because they think it's too nice. icon_confused.gif

I think the bottom line is we're all just groups of people, no matter which site. And everyone can stay or go as they please. But I agree that you really can't make it be the site you want it to be. It is what it is. And personally, I overlook the "too nicey nicey" aspect, even though it makes my teeth itch sometimes, because the value here outweighs it.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:19pm
post #113 of 125
Quote:

I think you find clickish, judgemental and self righteous everywhere you go. It's in the schools, work place, clubs, military etc., it's not just this site. If you haven't seen it any where else you must never leave your house. It's just part of the human race and it's never going to change.

Isn't that the truth! And, although the anonymity of the internet allows people to show their worst personality traits without consequence, common courtesy and civility have eroded to the point where I don't like to take part in some social organizations. icon_sad.gif

There's an afterschool program in my area that is very successful at keeping kids out of trouble. Their motto is: Work hard. Be nice. If only more adults lived by such advice!

I'm going to go bake a cake.....an Irish whiskey cake for Christmas eve dinner.....and maybe I'll have a couple of shots, too! Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year to all. Have fun and be nice, people!!! [/b]

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 6:25pm
post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Lori_hutchcakes, I love you!!! I love you!!! i love you!!! I read your blog and drool over your cakes. When i grow up i want to be you!!!! Dont write a post about me stalking you. Im not, im just loving you real hard <3 huge fan!!!!

OMG your too cute! Thanks (and I won't write a blog post about any stalkings). Happy holidays.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:22pm
post #115 of 125
Quote:

I think you find clickish, judgemental and self righteous everywhere you go. It's in the schools, work place, clubs, military etc., it's not just this site. .

Thanks Tiggy for the well-wishes for my daughter...Also, this is so true...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 12:52am
post #116 of 125

Sangriacupcake, relatively very few posts or threads are deleted here. Jackie and Heath don't like it, but will do so if needed.

Ambar2, there is a 'report this post' button on every post, unless it's already been reported several times; then sometimes it disappears.

lauriekailee, people flit on and off sites all the time. Life is a busy thing for most people.

Regarding the self-editing of posts; there is a finite window to do that, after that one can request a moderator to edit for you.

FayMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FayMakesCakes Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 7:59am
post #117 of 125
Quote:

Quote:

Again ..... in my many many browsing of practically all of the threads on here, I cannot recall EVER seeing a comment such as "your cake sucks", ergo I believe exaggerated statements like this are posted just for the purpose of getting something started and detract from any credibility.

In my experience on CC, if anyone EVER flat out said "your cake sucks", then I'm willing to bet the rest of us CC'ers would go down the throat of the person who made such a statement, because we aren't going to let you beat up our little sister! Anyone who has been on here any length of time knows that like any family, we bicker, we fight .... and we're VERY protective of each other!

indydebi please do not take what I wrote the wrong way. I did not mean that someone actually wrote that about one of my cakes - In fact the opposite as I wrote I have found CC to be very helpful. Nor was I trying to incite anything. I was trying to show 2 extremes... nothing more. I didn't think it would be taken as though someone had written that specifically more as a "don't say xxx" say it nicely as "xxx". I'm sorry if it was taken wrong.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 11:04am
post #118 of 125
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

indydebi please do not take what I wrote the wrong way. I did not mean that someone actually wrote that about one of my cakes - In fact the opposite as I wrote I have found CC to be very helpful. Nor was I trying to incite anything. I was trying to show 2 extremes... nothing more. I didn't think it would be taken as though someone had written that specifically more as a "don't say xxx" say it nicely as "xxx". I'm sorry if it was taken wrong.

Again...I have seen it--and those they said it to have seen it and many others have seen it--and I called them on their ugliness.

I have seen more than one thread where many people piled on an unsuspecting caker worse than junior high it was. One example-If a caker said someone was fortunate to have a business I've seen that person fileted for not bowing down and recognizing the hard work --it was not fortune wah wah wah. Please.

I think it's pretty good fortune to live where you would be allowed to have a shop on your property. I think you're fortunate to have a business, fortunate in the sense of it being a blessing, a good thing. Saying something is fortunate does not mean there was no work involved.

Wealthy people are considered fortunate whether they worked hard for it or it was inherited.

One of the names Browniebatterer had before they were BB (then after that they were that Karmasomethingorother)--the pre-BB person said ugly ugly things to some folks so did BB, etc.

I put a generic thread out about it--I didn't give their names at that time--but it was two posters at that time who had said 'your cake sucks', or 'you suck' in so many words. And then those people started retaliating against me personally--very unpleasant. And every time browniekarmat reincarnates themself and they think they create a new identity--they don't. They are still just as obvious and obnoxious, no social skills--same unmistakable voice though.

You can say it ain't so all day long.

Friends write you condolence pm's.
I've written condolence pm's.
A lot of those posts get deleted too.

It's part of being on the world wide web.

Yes it does so too happen. It's one thing as a poster to hope it doesn't bite you and avoid it--that's smart.

But ditch the rose red colored glasses, Indy. Be indignant toward the jerks not the people like Fay who are offering credible positive suggestions/solutions.

tiggy2 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 1:14pm
post #119 of 125

And we just keep feeding the fire ......... let it die.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm
post #120 of 125
Quote:

And we just keep feeding the fire ......... let it die.

That is your perogative, Tiggy2.

If I was feeding a fire my post would have read much differently.
Fay's original post that was quoted is actually sweet, fire extinguishy and thoughtful.

Clearly there's problems on here off and on like anywhere--saying it ain't so on the back of a newbie's pleasant helpful posting was something I wanted to weigh in on. Instead use that energy to help put down the loosers who rise up and cause trouble when the time comes.

But if you don't recognize or see the trouble and the trouble makers and go on to say it doesn't exist--I gave a couple for instances. Ugh uh been through too much on here to let it be said that it doesn't exist. pffhhhht

I mean just consider sheet cake haters--another good example.

Just say no to bashing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%