How Do You Make A Cake That Looks Like A Candle?

Decorating By mamagraham81 Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 1:28am by tokazodo

mamagraham81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamagraham81 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 10

I have seen and been inspired to make the cakes that look like candles. Someone said that there was directions on how to cover the cake with the white chocolate, but I havent been able to find it. Can any one point me in the right direction? Also I bought almond bark to do this..is that going to be okay to use?

9 replies
steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 10

ok, here is what i can remember, i saw it somewhere hoosier homemade.com maybe?? try that and see if it comes up. anyway, so do your cake, as usual. after it cools and u ice it, take 3 tea light candles with the little plastic clear things they sit in , dont use the metal ones, and turn them upside down and mark the cake where they will go. cut out the circles u marked. then pour the chocolate or almond bark into the holes, and put the plastic things back in. let it set up a few min, til its firm and take out the plastic holders ( you will prob need to wash them at this point) cover the top with the chocolate swirling it around so it looks like candle wax. when it sets up u can put the holders in with the tea lights. i think thats all of it, but she shows it in pics so its a little easier to understand. hope u find it!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 10

http://www.trulycustomcakery.com/tutorials/31.html

This is the tutorial I found with a quick google search. It looks pretty cool to me. HTH

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:26am
post #4 of 10

odyssey! thats the one i saw! thanks!

mamagraham81 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 10

Looks good! But some people covered the sides too with the chocolate, how would I do that?

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

I thing they are very cute cakes and i love the ones with the battery candle flames.
There are quite a few nices candle cakes photo'd here on cc

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 10

I made a candle cake twice. You can see one of them in my pictures. They were both similar. I baked my cakes in various size cans. Once they were cool I iced in buttercream and chilled them. Then I smoothed them more. I melted the chocolate. Next I measured the height of the candle I was covering (I made a trio to look like a set of candles sitting on a tray). I got some acetate and made sure it was long enough or wide enough to go around the cake. If not, tape two together making sure the taped seam is tight. It won't show but you don't want chocolate leaking through there. I then marked where the top of the candle was going to be from my measurement. On the acetate I brushed on with a pastry brush the melted chocolate. Then I wrapped the acetate sheet around the cake, chocolate side inward making sure it was making contact with the cake as much as possible. Once all were wrapped I allowed them to chill. I actually covered them loosely and sat them outside on our patio table. After about 30 minutes or so I brought them back in and took off the acetate sheet. That leaves the top in buttercream. I made a sugar glaze and filled a decorating bag with it. I snipped a hole (no tip or coupler needed) and drizzled it over the top and the edges so that it looked like wax melting down the sides. Some places I went back over one it had set a while. I got a small birthday candle, lit it and blew it out. It was inserted into the middle of the cake all the way down so that the wick is the only thing seen. I continued to fill in here and there and drizzle over the sides until I was happy with the look. It's pretty easy really. I dressed it all up w/some silk poinsettias and greenery but you can use rocks, marbles, glass beads or even jelly beans to finish off the tray.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 10

threeforhim, your cake is the one i was looking for to show. i saved your beautiful candle cake. i like the one with the lites in it also that is shown on this thread . I really like yours.

mamagraham81 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 12:30am
post #9 of 10

Perfect!!! Thank you so much threeforhim! Now can I use almond bark or do I need to get the white chocolate pieces and where do I get acetate paper at, can I use parchment or wax paper? Thanks so much I really appreciate all of your help!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:28am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I thing they are very cute cakes and i love the ones with the battery candle flames.
There are quite a few nices candle cakes photo'd here on cc

Duh! Oh my gosh! I just read this! I head a knee surgery and I suppose the meds are effecting my spelling too! Yikes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%