Help! I Think My Cake Is Starting To Collapse!

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 13

I baked a cake yesterday, and today I stacked and filled it with cream cheese icing, and strawberry filling. Its a small cake, 6in and only two layers...I noticed this morning that some of the dam was buldging a little, so when I was ready to decorate, I made it smooth again, keeping it very cold, then I covered in my fondant. Not only does the cake look all bumpy on the sides, now the top is no longer level! I already have it decorated with white fondant, with black fondant stripes and a black circle in the center with an airbrushed pattern. Is there a way to fix it? Will it keep getting worse? I have no idea whats going on, I am still quite new to this!

12 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 13

It just sounds like your filling is very slippery, and your dam has budged especially when you keep trying to smooth it out. You have two options really - One: keep it like it is, I guess try to keep it refridgerated and when you move it do so very carefully so the top layer doesn't slip to the side even more. Two: remove all fondant, separate the layers, and fill with something less slippery or make sure you use a better dam around the edge of whatever filling you do use. Then redecorate. If it is a paid cake, I would go for the second option. If it is just for your family, it's no biggie that you have a bulge! You'll know next time that a good dam is pretty essential.
You could also try leaving it a day between filling and decorating. Cakes can still settle overnight with the dam/filling in (I cover mine with plastic wrap), and there may be less chance of a bulge when you put the fondant on the next day.

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks, i wish I had more time! Its for a friend's friend. Im going it as a returned favor for her, shes getting it for her friends birthday. here is a link it it, its horrible to me! She specifically asked for the strawberry filling, is there a way to fix it and still use the strawberry?
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1895272

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 13

Other than peeling off the fondant I don't think so. That's a large bulge - did you use a lot of filling? Is there a dam at all?

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 13

I did use a dam, and I brought the filling up to the dam...I have icing on either side of the filling too, so no filling is actually touching cake...I am just sick! I am nearly out of fondant and shes coming to get it in two hours! I am letting her know whats going on, and I will promise her another cake. At least its a free one...but still, its MY cake! I was able to smooth the fondant a good bit and when I put the boarder on it, it hides it a good bit. Ill take another picture.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 13

This is something I don't understand. I am usually pretty skimpy with my fillings, just so I don't have this problem.I really press down on my cakes, so they settle. Then I see these beautiful cakes on t.v. that have an inch of filling inside. They put fresh fruit, that seems really risky, but They look perfect. The dam they use looks like whipped cream, its so soft, but it seems to hold it all in.
To answer your question, if you want it to look perfect, I can't see any other way than removing the fondant, and putting a really sturdy dam to hold the strawberry filling in. I would definitely keep it refrigerated... Or you could change up the design and put something where the bulge is, a bow, flowers. It didn't look too bad to me.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 13

Did you use a stiffer icing for the dam? It really looks like too much filling and not a stiff enough dam to contain it. Don't think there is much you can do now that it is covered in fondant. At least your friend will be understanding! So sorry! I hate it when bad things happen to good cakes!

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 13

Well, can't find my camera or my phone to cake more pictures icon_razz.gif. So you think maybe my dam was too soft? I kinda had a feeling it might have been, never damed with cream cheese icing before, only BC...and I may have used too much filling (almost hurts to say, that filling is delicious!) Definitely lesson learned, I sent her a picture before I fixed it and she loves it and says she doesn't mind at all...Shes a great friend and cake tester icon_biggrin.gif Posting a new picture on that link...

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 13

Are you saying that in between the cake layers, you put a layer of buttercream, then a layer of fruit filling, than another layer of buttercream, then cake? How big and thick was your dam to hold all this in?

I usually put a thin layer (maybe 1/8" to 1/4") of either frosting OR filling with a full 1/4" dam.

I also marvel at these TV bakers, Buddy in particular, that pipe this fluffy, light-as-air cream 1 1/2" thick. Of course, they keep it chilled all the time so it probably firms up hard before it can ooze out.

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 13

LOL yea, it was a lot of filling now that I think about it, what I did, I put a thin layer of the cream cheese down, then the dam, then the fruit filling, then on the bottom of the next layer, another thin layer of the icing, make like a sandwich of cake, cream cheese, fruit, cream cheese, then cake...and a dam holding in the fruit. ahh in my head it work out so well!! LOL Live and learn! Still proud of myself for making it since I only decorated my first cake back in August!!! Ok, so steps for making a cake with fruit filling anyone???? Obviously I need less filling, I watch Cake Boss on tv all the time and thought, hey, he does a lot of fillings, must be easy! yea right hahahah!!

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1895364
Well, here is the finished cake! not as bad as I thought it would be, but boy am I glad its finished!!! I just hope she drives safely with it, I wrapped the box in wrapping paper because her friend doesnt know its a cake for her, and shes going to her own surprise party icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 13

I won't use cream cheese icing because it's so soft. The icing for the damn needs to be thick/solid enough that at room temp you can pipe out a snake of it and roll it around without smushing it.

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I won't use cream cheese icing because it's so soft. The icing for the damn needs to be thick/solid enough that at room temp you can pipe out a snake of it and roll it around without smushing it.

You know, that thought crossed my mind, I shoulda asked my fellow CC members first! Thanks yall for your help icon_biggrin.gif gosh I can't believe the amount of stress this tiny cake gave me! Even the final product has a bulge still, but its much less noticeable now... practice practice practice is the only way we learn!! Again, thank yall so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%