Again Filling Troubles

Decorating By Colliegirl Updated 4 Dec 2010 , 6:31am by Sweet_Toof

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 11

Sorry folks I think I am relegated to never using fillings in my cakes and I really want to. However, I constantly battling the bulge. In the latest episode I put the cake in the fridge with the ganache filling and covered it with ganache, so that I could cover it with fondant the next day.

Needless to say the cake made the fondant sweat but that wasn't my main problem it was the bulge. I have used dams, I have let it sit for sometime, I have tried to shave the sides off to get a clean side, but alas the bulge is there to haunt me.

Can anyone help? On my pictures you can see the rainbow one and see some of its many bulges. I am at a loss icon_cry.gif

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know how ganache could roll out like that.

The purpose of the dam is to adhere the two layers of cake together around the outside edge--the filling sits within that area snug and secure, unmoving, will not creep out at the edges because the buttercream not only holds it in secure it also holds the two cake layers together at the perimeter.

I'm thinking what might have happened in this case is that some of the dam icing slipped over the edge when you plopped the top layer on and the two layers did not properly adhere to each other--all you do is go back and smoosh the icing back in to provide the seal. Then ice the cake.

All the icing you pipe around the edge for the dam needs to be smooshed back in there--it's easy to dislodge some of it when you are assembling the layers. Stuff it all back in with clean fingers or a spatula.

I love your cake! It is very cool.

But you don't need a dam for whipped ganache.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 11

What receipe are you using for your buttercream dam?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 11

First off, settling will not happen in the fridge. The filling sets up firm. When it comes back to room temp, if it's gonna move that's when it will move. Settling needs to happen at room temp. Have you read my trick with the ceramic tile?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 11

In addition to Leah_s comment which is probably exactly what happened to you, what recipe for ganache were you using. For ganache under fondant you want to use a setting ganache. This is typically a 2:1 choc to cream ratio and it sets up firm...like firm at room temp which is great because no bulgiesicon_smile.gif

If are a visual learner, SugarShacks Perfecting the Art of Buttercream discusses how to minimize the bulge and her Topsy Turvy DVD shows how to do ganache under fondant. I have both.

I'm trying Leah_s tile trick on my next cake..I even found a tile alreadicon_smile.gif Just need an excuse to make a cake.

It's a battle for all of us. Even on my best days, I may end up with a slight bulge but that's usually because I'm rushing and unwilling to wait until the cake settles.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 11

When applying the dam (stiffer buttercream) are you allowing a small ring of cake to be exposed all the way around? Your dam should not be at the edge of the cake, so when the top layer is layed in place the cake will smoosh (is that a word LOL) the dam up to the edge but not extend passed the edge. I also like to run a buttercream bead (round coupler without a tip) around the seam which I smooth with the spatula then I crumb coat. Good Luck.

Colliegirl Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 11

I shall try all the tricks you have mentioned. Haven't heard of the ceramic tile bit, will have to look at that one, not sure what it is. Is there are post about the ceramic tile?

I use bought ganache, I don't have time these days to make my own. The ganache firms up very hard in the fridge and of course when you take it out it becomes soft again. I shall try all these new tricks with this cake I am doing today.

I really want to master this, as I want all my cakes to have a nice filling. Also I have made for the first time a caramel mud cake, what sort of filling could I put in that?

Thanks folks for all your advices, it really is very much appreciated.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:54am
post #9 of 11

Wow, thanks a lot. I shall try this next time. This cake I am doing now has to go out this afternoon. Now to source one of those tiles...... icon_lol.gif

tammieshelley2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammieshelley2 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 2:09am
post #10 of 11

Hi, you can also try spackling the cake. Just mix cake crumbs with some of your thick buttercream icing and use it to crumb coat the cake. It sets up a bit harder (but not so hard that it interfers with eating the cake) and keeps a nice smooth surface.

Tammie

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:31am
post #11 of 11

Was the ganache a runny or spreadable consistency when you filled the cake?
If it was spreadable (please correct me if I'm wrong but..) was the buttercream damn nessecary, I've filled with ganache only and it seems to work fine without the bulges...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%