Sps Help - Forgot Holes In Cake Boards - What To Do?

Decorating By Dayti Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 11:00am by Dayti

Dayti Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:37am
post #1 of 8

So I have filled and ganached 6", 8" and 10" cakes. What is the easiest way to drill/poke a hole in the cake boards/circles, so they sit properly on the stubby thing on the SPS? Stupid me. I think the only way to do it is somehow turn the cakes upside down and try and removed the boards (which are ganached to the cake). If I don't remove them, the force needed to make the holes will smoosh my cakes I think...
Thoughts anyone?! I only have a couple of hours before the fondant goes on...Thanks

7 replies
ptanyer Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 8

You don't have to do anything to mess up what you've already done icon_smile.gif Just set the sps plate on the counter, take each cake tier and place it on the plate and the little pin on top will make a mark on the cake board. Then have someone hold it up for you and using a paring knife, make a tiny hole and then put the tier on the plate. Easy, peasy thumbs_up.gif

PS - sometimes just placing the tier on the plate will make it's own hole from the weight of the cake pressing down on the plate.

SugarFiend Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 8

LOL - Leah_S says you'll forget only ONCE... And I did, too! Here is what I did:

I placed the cake and board on a cooling rack, which I had straddled across two coffee cans, and then I used an instant-read thermometer to punch a hole from underneath.

The instant-read was just what I could find that was both short-ish and sharp-ish.

Dayti Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 8

I am going to try your idea, although I am on my own at the shop - I'll have to hold the cake in one hand on one side, and support it on the counter on the other side while I do the hole. Thanks!

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 8

good advice so far. mark the cardboard, elevate it and punch it.

And this is your one time forgetting. You won't forget again!

jonahsmom Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 8

I forgot once, too. Once. Luckily hubby was there to punch a hole while I held the cake. It sucked. Never. Again. icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 8

Have you put the border on yet? If not, just take a new cake board, mark it and punch the hole through and glue it to the bottom of your cakeicon_smile.gif

Dayti Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:00am
post #8 of 8

I did it the way Sugarfiend suggested (sorry, I hadn't seen your reply when I repied earlier for some reason). I got two big plastic boxes, put an oven shelf on top, and used a sharp knife to wiggle a hole in the boards. Worked great. I was really pleased the way the SPS worked this time, managed to bake the cakes to just over 4" and the plates fit flush to the top of the cakes. I also removed the little plugs of fondant from the 4 holes when I marked the top of the cake. I think the last time I used SPS I didn't do this, so they were pushed into the cake, preventing the legs from reaching the very bottom of the cake icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%