Sps Help - Forgot Holes In Cake Boards - What To Do?

Decorating By Dayti Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 11:00am by Dayti

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:37am
post #1 of 8

Hi,
So I have filled and ganached 6", 8" and 10" cakes. What is the easiest way to drill/poke a hole in the cake boards/circles, so they sit properly on the stubby thing on the SPS? Stupid me. I think the only way to do it is somehow turn the cakes upside down and try and removed the boards (which are ganached to the cake). If I don't remove them, the force needed to make the holes will smoosh my cakes I think...
Thoughts anyone?! I only have a couple of hours before the fondant goes on...Thanks

7 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 8

You don't have to do anything to mess up what you've already done icon_smile.gif Just set the sps plate on the counter, take each cake tier and place it on the plate and the little pin on top will make a mark on the cake board. Then have someone hold it up for you and using a paring knife, make a tiny hole and then put the tier on the plate. Easy, peasy thumbs_up.gif

PS - sometimes just placing the tier on the plate will make it's own hole from the weight of the cake pressing down on the plate.

HTH's!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 8

LOL - Leah_S says you'll forget only ONCE... And I did, too! Here is what I did:

I placed the cake and board on a cooling rack, which I had straddled across two coffee cans, and then I used an instant-read thermometer to punch a hole from underneath.

The instant-read was just what I could find that was both short-ish and sharp-ish.

HTH!

Dayti Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 8

I am going to try your idea, although I am on my own at the shop - I'll have to hold the cake in one hand on one side, and support it on the counter on the other side while I do the hole. Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 8

good advice so far. mark the cardboard, elevate it and punch it.

And this is your one time forgetting. You won't forget again!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 8

I forgot once, too. Once. Luckily hubby was there to punch a hole while I held the cake. It sucked. Never. Again. icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 8

Have you put the border on yet? If not, just take a new cake board, mark it and punch the hole through and glue it to the bottom of your cakeicon_smile.gif

Dayti Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 11:00am
post #8 of 8

I did it the way Sugarfiend suggested (sorry, I hadn't seen your reply when I repied earlier for some reason). I got two big plastic boxes, put an oven shelf on top, and used a sharp knife to wiggle a hole in the boards. Worked great. I was really pleased the way the SPS worked this time, managed to bake the cakes to just over 4" and the plates fit flush to the top of the cakes. I also removed the little plugs of fondant from the 4 holes when I marked the top of the cake. I think the last time I used SPS I didn't do this, so they were pushed into the cake, preventing the legs from reaching the very bottom of the cake icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%