Injured, Can I Make Christmas Cookies And Freeze Way Ahead

Baking By cplfernandez Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm by SweetResults

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 7

I was carving a cake last week and cut the tendon in my left hand middle finger. needless to say, it will take surgery to fix! oh well - I was a Marine and am always getting hurt. However this is seriously slowing me down. My question is can I make christmas cookies (sugar, choc chip, snickerdoodles, etc.) and freeze for a few weeks or do i need to do these fresh? Thanks for your help in advance!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 7

I know people who make their cookies weeks/months in advance for Christmas so I don't see why not...If you store them in an airtight container after they cool like a ice cream pail..they should be fine.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 7

You can refresh undecorated/frozen cookies to their ideal state by popping them back in the oven for minute or two after they've thawed.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

I freeze pre and post baking. For christmas i already have my dough balls in the freezer for chocolate chip and peanut butter. Then the day i want them i just pop them in the oven and add 2-3 minutes to the baking time.

you can also freeze them after you've baked them w/o problems too.

I freeze everything on a cookie sheet and then put in ziplock bags or gallon ice cream containers (depending on how many i have) but i like the ice cream containers b/c i can stack them and don't have to worry about smashing all the cookies.

wanda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wanda45 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

I freeze my butter cookies after baking and it gives them a better butter flavor.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 7

I'm gonna pop in with a few questions if thats ok! is there any cookies that are NOT ok to freeze?? i'm making a ton of different flavors and i'll need like 1000+ of them in a couple weeks so I want to make them all ahead of time because I'll need a ton of other desserts as well. also, can i freeze sugar cookies decorated with royal icing? has anyone does this with good results? thanks! icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 7

I am going to watch this thread too - I just posted another one about timing of making my Christmas cookies. I'm gonna see what I have to start baking today and see how it turns out.

I did make chocolate chip cookies yesterday and froze 5 dozen of them before baking. Maybe pinwheel cookies today?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%