Original Wasc Cake And 8X3 Pan?

Baking By SweetKath Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm by snocilla

SweetKath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKath Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a Boston Cream Pie cake today for my family using Kakeladi's original WASC cake (calls for 3 whole eggs)-- I'm planning to use butter as the flavoring. I've got the Easy Bavarian Cream in the fridge - taste great but I didn't let the cream cheese sit long enough so some flecks. Live and learn! I'm using a simple ganache recipe I found on another site.

After reading so many other posts, I am planning to do the following for the cake: Sift all dry ingredients; use flower nail in center; use bake even strips on the side. I'm pretty sure my oven temp is actually lower than what I set it for but directions say to start at 300 degrees then increase to 325 for a total of 50-60 minutes.

I still have questions: How long should I expect it to bake in the 8x3 pan? The same as above? How would I wrap the cake layers if I was planning to freeze them?

Sorry for the book!

2 replies
SweetKath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetKath Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 3

Wish me luck! Cake is in the oven. Only doing a one-layer cake to tort since it is a 3-in pan. Had just enough batter left for 6 cupcakes so they are in the upper oven. Hopefully that mean I put the right amt of batter in the 8x3 pan...

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 3

You should be fine based on what you said! If you have the flower nail, you probably don't need the bake even strips. For 8" I don't use either and it comes out fine, even in a 3" pan. With the 3" pan you may need to bake a little longer, but just keep an eye on it. As far as freezing. I just double wrap the cake in plastic wrap, and put it back in the pan (cleaned of course), and then put the whole thing in the freezer. Then you don't have to worry about any indentations freezing into the cake. I usually freeze before torting. It's much easier to tort a partially frozen cake than one fresh out of the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%