How Do You Make The Brim Of A Baseball Cap Cake?

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 4:28am by bvwilliams

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:38am
post #1 of 9

Hi, everyone. I need to make a baseball cap cake and don't know where to start. I've never made one before and I thought it would be easy. I have a sports ball pan so I will probably use it for the crown of the cap. But I really need help on how to make and attach the brim. I'd also like to know how to curve the brim to make it look more realistic.

Thanks for any help.

8 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 5:58am
post #2 of 9

I made one a while back. I cut apart one of my husband's hats he never wore and used it as a mold. Just undo the stitching where the brim meets the cap and you have a perfectly proportionate mold. I placed a piece of parchment paper between the hat and gumpaste to protect it from sticking or taking on the imprint from the fabric.

HTH

Here's link to mine.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1682774

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 9

I did about the same thing, but I didn't cut the hat up, I just covered it with plastic wrap first and used it to dry the fondant on. They wanted it to look like his real hat, so I even "fayed" the edges with a razoe knife.

Here is the one I did:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1502331

bvwilliams Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 9

Thanks Mom2twogrlz and Loucinda for the suggestion and the great pics. I'll try your idea. We have lots of baseball caps laying around the house.

bvwilliams Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 9

Now, I have another question. When making the crown of the cap do you have to use half of a sports ball pan plus a 6" round or will the sports ball pan be fine alone? I was just looking at the sports ball pan and it doesn't seem like it would be deep enough without adding another layer. Any comments?

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 9

I can't remember exactly, but I think I added a single 6 inch round layer. I don't use the Wilton pan though, I use the one that is for making icecream cakes and stuff. It has the hollow core. I can't rememeber the brans, but I think the size is just about the same.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 9

I used a 6" round and a 1/2 a sports ball pan and stacked the round on top of the 6". Worked great.

I used my husbands hat to make a "template" of the brim and cut a piece of cardboard, then I kind of rolled it the way guys do with their brims... used that as the base and wrapped it in gum paste.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

I used a 6" round and a 1/2 a sports ball pan and stacked the round on top of the 6". Worked great.

I used my husbands hat to make a "template" of the brim and cut a piece of cardboard, then I kind of rolled it the way guys do with their brims... used that as the base and wrapped it in gum paste.

This is exactly what I did you can see it in my photos

bvwilliams Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:28am
post #9 of 9

Thanks, CakeInfatuation! That helps a lot. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%