Do I Need Baking Strips?

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm by dnrlee

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:41am
post #1 of 4

Do I need to use baking strips with a Fat Daddio's 10x13x3 inch pan? I always use flower nails for baking.

3 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 4

Flower nails and baking strips do two completely different, yet complementary, things. Baking strips prevent your cake from doming in the middle. Doming is caused when the sides of the cake, because they're touching the hot metal sides of the pan, cook faster than the rest of the cake. So they set up before the cake is finished rising. Since the cake still needs to rise, it will do so in the center, which is still pliable. Baking strips cool the sides of the pan so that the sides don't set too soon. this allows the entire cake to rise evenly.

Flower nails are used, not to prevent domes, but to add heat to the center of the pan so that it will finish cooking before the sides are overdone.

I use both on all size pans, not just large pans.

winny01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winny01 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 4

I also always use the flower nail and the baking strips, no matter the size of the pan. They work great!

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 4

Got it! I always use both but this is the first time that I've used a pan this bigicon_smile.gif Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%