Bighting Off More Then I Can Chew

Decorating By gypcygirl Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 8:41pm by playingwithsugar

gypcygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypcygirl Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to make a cake for my dads 60th birthday. It will actually be 4 cakes. 4 seasons of life
Winter-ice fishing...thinking of doing a rock candy ice pond with a little jello and a swedish fish.

here are where the questions start
Spring- want to do a garden theme...choc frosting with cooke crumbs for dirt...any ideas on how to make veggies

Summer-he is a farmer...so i want to do a hay field...so ideas for haybales

Fall-Hunting...i am thinking of using rolled butter cream in a camo idea...but any other ideas.
thanks for any help

7 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 8

WOW! That is a lot of work.

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

I LIKE dimension! What about fall hunting scene with a hunting stand/blind, etc.? For hay...schredded wheat? How about using schredded wheat instead of Rice Krispies and shape hay bales out of "Shredded Wheat Treats"? Make veggies out of fondant. I'm thinking wooden barrels with veggies collected up in them...out of fondant. I would put something in the bottom of the fondant wooden crate/barrels so that I only had to make a few veggies for the top. icon_wink.gif Maybe this will help get you started. icon_wink.gif

Taleryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleryn Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

Awesome idea. Yes, alot of work Awatterson, but worth it for Dad. icon_smile.gif
How about sugar work for the ice pond. (Google "how to"for sugar work. A simple mold like this is easy) Use modeling clay to create an outline of pond with a fishing hole (so you don't have to crack in a hole later) on a silpat or foil (easy release of the hardened sugar). Pour melted sugar in to create a flat pond. Adding white dye to melted sugar should make it look like ice. You can use clay molds to form other simple ice things too. Maybe finely chopped coconut or other white item for snow.
Love Towheeler's shreaded wheat idea for the haybales. Graham cracker crumbs make great dirt, too. Sorry, no ideas yet on Hunting.
Good luck with the project icon_smile.gif Dad will love it!

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 8

I "plowed" a "field" once w/ my icing comb. icon_wink.gif

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 8

Not familiar with rolled buttercream. We may be thinking alike just different terminology...would do camo with marbled fondant.

kimmerly1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmerly1966 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 8

I would probably mix gum paste and findant to make the veggies, you can look it up on google. Also Youtube, carrots are fun to make icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 8

Martha Stewart has a couple of garden cakes on her website, complete with instructions. One is flowers, the other veggies.

Enter garden cake in her search box and go through the listings to find them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%