Attending The Wedding You Made The Cake For... Bad Idea!

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm by indydebi

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:29am
post #31 of 38

It is rude to keep people waiting! At a good friends daughters wedding they had a buffet style dinner and made an announcement to the guests to enjoy themselves while the bridal party was taking the pictures. They did wait a little long to cut the cake, but everyone had eaten and had drinks.

Years ago at a friends wedding, they did all the pictures prior to the wedding. It was held at a church and they were able to do it in a way to make it special for when the groom saw the bride in her dress the first time. The photographer was there at the moment and the pics were fabulous. Couldn't tell that it didn't happen the traditional way.

I think it is up to the professionals, (photographer, caterer and planner) to ensure that guests are not kept waiting.

At my niece's wedding she was so busy "enjoying" her moment that she did not give the dj any instructions and totally missed the daddy/daughter dance, toasts, etc. My BIL was so disappointed that he didn't get his dance with her.

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #32 of 38

I too recently did a huge wedding cake to serve 250 for my husbands nephew. Kids kept bumping into the cake table, as they placed it next to the DJ and other guests who knew I made the cake felt they needed to inform me that they thought the cake may fall over. I had to finally tell the bride and groom they needed to cut the cake. The grooms mom made an extremely large dessert table filled with cookies and 'cupcakes'. They opened that up to guests after dinner but weren't planning to serve the cake at the same time. By the time they did cut the cake most guests were full of dessert or had left. More than 1/2 the cake was left. And the bride and groom didn't even cut the cake just did a staged pic. The bottom tier was a rainbow batter that the bride had to have and they never even cut and served it. What a waste of time. I later found out they donated the cake to the senior center...At least it didn't get wasted. But wow! the time I spent at least I got paid even if it was only $1.00 a serving.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #33 of 38

I agree with the previous posts. I always tell my brides ~ It's YOUR special day, not your guest's. They are taking time out to come to your wedding so make sure they are taken care of. Now, that may seem a little hard-hearted, but it's is mostly the truth. Get that cake cut, so people can eat some before they leave!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #34 of 38

I saw the post title and started to laugh. I had the same reaction but for a totally different reason. My first real wedding cake was last month and it was for a friend. It was a tiered cake with separators and the table and cake just seemed unstable. I was so worried the cake was going to fall that I couldn't stop staring at it. It drove me crazy. My husband kept trying to distract me but I was going nuts so as soon as dinner was over I told them they had to cut the cake. My friend is totally laid back. The other bad thing was they made me cut it. I did not bring my own knife and the "serving" set really tore up the cake.

It was very stressful to have to "Watch" your cake all night.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm
post #35 of 38

I agree with all of the above posts. I tried very hard to have a good time but I just ended up being a big ball of stress at the end of the night. My husband kept telling me everything is fine and it just doesn't matter I wanted to cry...

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:18pm
post #36 of 38

I just did an outdoor wedding this past Saturday at a local park. It was about 50 degrees and very windy. I got the cake to the pavilion 1/2 hour before the wedding was do to start, set it up and waited as I ALWAYS stay and cut my cakes. I charge for it and it's non-negotiable. Luckily, someone wrapped the pavilion in plastic sheeting so the wind wasn't blowing dirt all over everything but the wedding ceremony was outside the pavilion in the cold air. The bride was 45 minutes late to her own wedding!! The preacher looked older than Moses and was on oxygen and stayed in that cold air waiting on this bride. The bride and groom had to be reminded (by my friend/referral) to cut the cake before they sat down to eat so I could cut and plate the cake. It just makes perfect sense to do it IndyDebi's way and I have e-mailed her blog spot on when to cut the cake to reluctant MOB and brides. So far, I have only had 2 of those and I'm still working on convincing one of them.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:37pm
post #37 of 38

luvbuttercream, sorry to hear your darling cakes (and the wedding party) were wasted. What the bride and groom WILL remember later when the hoopla is over is how lovely your cakes were, and the love that made them for their special day--that will never be forgotton by them.

The main problem, ESPECIALLY when they are made as a gift of love into which you have poured your heart (and hours and $$$), ends up being the same, sad story you see on CC all the time. Nobody appreciates the love, time, effort and cost of custom cakes. That's not because they are insensitive or rude or greedy, it's because they have NO clue what goes into custom cakes.

Weddings create crazy people: B&G, MOG, MOB, etc. Weddings are the biggest affairs most people will ever plan in their entire life. They want them to be perfect and cram everything into their single day.
(As far as taking care of their guests - honestly, they could probably care less. Weddings usually end up being long, boring social obligations with a few highlights --like the cake!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMoon

The break between wedding and reception is unavoidable from what I'm seeing and hearing. Everyone needs to shake hands with the bride and groom after the wedding, and then the photographer nabs the whole party for at least an hour. You can't take pictures before the wedding because the groom's not supposed to see the bride. I wonder how I could make my wedding as painless as possible for my guests... and I can't piece it together.

The traditional receiving line seems to be going by the wayside. I cant remember the last wedding I was at where guests were forced to stand in line to meet the bride and groom. Talk to guests and most will tell you they arent fond of this tradition anyway. Brides and grooms seem to be doing the meet-n-greet at individual tables during the reception, which is more relaxed and gives the guests more time to talk to the couple one-on-one.

The majority of professional photographers that Ive encountered do post-wedding pictures inside of 30 minutes. (If I ever had one that took more than 30 minutes, I tended to think oh brother . A FRIEND photographer! dunce.gif ) Its easy to do a lot of the pre-wedding photos without the bride/groom seeing each other, if thats what the couple wants (and most couples that I encountered are foregoing that dont see her before the wedding tradition, too.) If the reception was at a different location and the bridal party had to travel anyway, it usually didnt take but a few minutes to pull over in a park for a photo op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakincakin

I was just at a wedding this past weekend and they cut the cake and did pictures of it before they even ate dinner. Thought that was a great idea. That way it was done, and the guests could then help themselves afterward.

Thats how I had ALL my brides do it! I didnt actually cut the cake for serving until after dinner, but when I did, I just had the DJ announce, The cake has been cut, you may help yourself at any time. At my sons wedding this past weekend, they did the toasts, then got up to cut the cake, then walked straight to the buffet my oldest daughter grinned, looked at me and said, Oh I can see where MOM had a hand in THIS timeline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I agree with the previous posts. I always tell my brides ~ It's YOUR special day, not your guest's. They are taking time out to come to your wedding so make sure they are taken care of. Now, that may seem a little hard-hearted, but it's is mostly the truth. Get that cake cut, so people can eat some before they leave!!

I agree and disagree with this statement. Those who have heard my anti-bridezilla speech know that I am big on proper manners and etiquette when it comes to hosting a large event. While a couple is standing at the altar exchanging vows, it IS all about them, ..but once you walk down the steps of that church, you are now hosting a very large event with guests that need taken care of, and darlin we ARE going to take care of them . Yes it is their day . But not to the point of throwing their guests to the curb.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%