Royal Icing And The Fridge

Decorating By dilly2 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm by dchockeyguy

dilly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dilly2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 6

If I apply royal icing to a fondant covered cake can I stick it in the fridge? How about if I apply royal icing to a buttercream covered cake?
madhatter.gif

5 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, on fondant -- never tried royal on buttercream. I use buttercream on buttercream and then, yes, fridge is fine.

dilly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dilly2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you luddroth.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 6

I'd be concerned about condensation when it comes out of the fridge. Moisture can break down royal icing. With the weather cooling off it may not be that big of an issue for you, but I'd be careful myself.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

TexasSugar is right -- but the same thing is true of the fondant itself. Whenever fondant/royal has been in the fridge, it should be covered as it comes out if the weather is humid -- condensation is an enemy of both fondant and royal icing.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

TexasSugar is right -- but the same thing is true of the fondant itself. Whenever fondant/royal has been in the fridge, it should be covered as it comes out if the weather is humid -- condensation is an enemy of both fondant and royal icing.

I must be fortunate, because this has never been a problem in my house. But I think my Ac keeps the humidity level in our house pretty low.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%