How To Get Flowers To Not Sink

Decorating By awatterson Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 10:20am by awatterson

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

I just did a practice cake and I made some fondant flowers to go on the side of the cake. I put a little bit of icing on the back of the flower and stuck it on the side of the cake. Gravity won and they started sinking down. Fortunately this was just practice, but I would still like to know what I need to do so that they don't sink. Thank you.

8 replies
cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 9

not sure what kind of flower they are but you may want to let them dry in a flower former. also, in my pics you'll see a hawaiian cake with flowers. for these, i made them ahead of time and i took strips of paper towels, rolled them up and taped them into an "o" shape and stuck the flowers in there to dry. worked like a charm icon_smile.gif good luck!

awatterson Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 9

I made something that was close to a dahlia and i wanted it to dry flat. They were completely dry when I put them on the side of the cake, but they just slid down the side. Thanks for the advice.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 9

cakestars, i love ur flip flop cake great job thumbs_up.gif

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 9

Did you use royal icing to attach the flowers? It dries hard and stiff, unlike buttercream.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #6 of 9

Were you attaching to BC or fondant?

For BC, I put a blob of bc on the back of the flower and the try to get the cake in the fridge to set up as soon as possible

For fondant, RI for heavy flowers.

HTH
Kristy

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 9

I use either piping gel or buttercream on the back of the flower. I place it on the cake and the brace it into place with corsage pins or toothpicks until the gel has time to set. Then I pull out the pins or toothpicks and repair the very small hole.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 9

the best thing to attach fondant flowers to fondant is royal icing.

awatterson Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:20am
post #9 of 9

It was buttercream. It is the first picture in my gallery, I couldn't get it to attach to this post. All4show, I LOVE the toothpick idea. Thank you so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%