Its His Fault But I Feel Bad.

Decorating By twistedsplinters Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm by twistedsplinters

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 13

Ok so last wk, I had a woman and man come by to pay for their cake. The husband had an attitude when paying bc he had to hand over the $. Then was irritated when she said he had to come pick it up today.

He comes to pick it up , i explain how to drive carefully with this cake, to no drive fast, take turns extremely slowly. He takes it from me puts it in a plastic tub which it doesnt fit he bends the cakeboard slightly, i point it out he says it will be alright . and Then TAKES OFF, needless to say i get an email from the wife saying the bottom tier collapes. She didnt ask for anything back her MIL already went somewhere else and bought another cake just like it.The husband signed a contract stating that he inspected the cake, it was in great condition, as ordered and intact at timeof pickup.

I feel bad that it didnt make it intact bc she had been planning this cake for 3+ mths and he ruined it of course he probably blamed it on me.

the cake is the last pic uploaded in my album of the little boy climbing up the cake and trying to pull it down.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1805725&sub=1805727&done=1

12 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 13

And you're supposed to feel bad why??? I don't undertand people lately. I've seen the husbands like that who are rude and uncaring and p#ss#d off at their wives so they end up treating the cakes like it's part of the items they find in their trunk, like a flat tire. My suggestion to her in regards to fixing the cake problem would be a divorce attorneys name. (probably wouldn't say that, but it feels nice thinking it, don't it!!!)

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 13

Good for you, for getting the release signed. I still need to develop that.

It's not your fault so try not to feel bad (other then the fact that it's all your work wrecked) You told him how to drive with it and he didn't listen.

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 13

That cake is adorable. I have a hard time believing the MIL went out and was able to buy one just like it. There is no way someone could whip up something like that. Don't feel bad, its his fault. and you have a picture to prove it was fine before it was in his hands

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 13

That is a cute cake. I know about these kind of customers -- that's exactly why I don't allow pickups on wedding cakes! icon_confused.gif

twistedsplinters Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 13

@bobwonderbuns - Yeah i deliver all wedding cakes automatically. I also have someone else who has an elaberate cake topsyturvy cake sunday and you bet im gonna make them sign it too, bc i offered free delivery and setup but she was adamant that she pick it up herself. its gonna be huge.. makes me worry about every cake i have this wkend.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 13

No matter what really happened, 90% of the time, the wife will take her husband's side that he did nothing wrong and that the baker is at fault.

I read another post on CC once, that when a husband picked up a cake, he took the cake box, flipped it sideways and tucked it under his arm like a football and went out the door. :shudder:

So...I have considered taking a picture of every cake WITH the person who picks it up, so I have incontrovertible evidence that the cake was in perfect condition when it left my hands. Posts like this make me want to follow thru with that decision.

meh, cake muggles...

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 13

i don't know why you would feel bad...totally not your fault...too bad for all your hard work though.......

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 13

That is sad, I hope he learned his lesson!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 13

If he was so resentful of spending the money on the cake-- you think he would have taken better care to get his investment home intact.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

No matter what really happened, 90% of the time, the wife will take her husband's side that he did nothing wrong and that the baker is at fault.

I read another post on CC once, that when a husband picked up a cake, he took the cake box, flipped it sideways and tucked it under his arm like a football and went out the door. :shudder:

So...I have considered taking a picture of every cake WITH the person who picks it up, so I have incontrovertible evidence that the cake was in perfect condition when it left my hands. Posts like this make me want to follow thru with that decision.

meh, cake muggles...

What a great idea!!! Maybe I'll do that too! icon_lol.gif

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 13

What a jerk!! I hate to lump all men in the same boat (but will!!), they just don't get it really.

I once had a father of the bride pick up a wedding cake as it was a 2hr journey away, I said I would place the cake in the car for him (in an open topped box) but he said 'no love don't want you doing any heavy lifting'. Anyway he puts the cake on the back seat and then as he leans over to fiddle with the seat belt his sunglasses fall smack bang onto the middle of the second tier - leaving a dent. It was all I could do not to punch him.

Long story short I moved some roses around and covered it up. I stewed on it for ages and then sent the bride an email. I said that I hoped the wedding went well blah blah and I was thinking of her blah blah, also made a light mention that I hoped her father wasn't too upset at damaging the cake and that it was fine because we could fix it up. The tone was all very light and friendly but I just really wanted her to know it wasn't my fault if she did see the dent.

twistedsplinters Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 13

I figure either he drove crazy "he sped off out of the lot" or when trying to get it out ontop of having the 1 year old with him dropped it decided to say it collapsed in the car while driving. @ sugarfrosted my husband has suggested that as well taking pics as its put in their vehicle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%