Duff"s Fondant?

Decorating By angelcakesmom Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 12:37am by CakeInfatuation

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 14

I was at Michael's last night and saw that Duff has a line of products (cake mixes, fondant, utensils etc.) Just wondering if anyone's tried the fondant & how it tastes?

13 replies
glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 14

There is a long thread on this. Most liked the fondant. Most hated the cake mix...

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 14

I'm curious to know the answer to that, also. I think I read somewhere that someone said it tastes like MMF, which I haven't tried yet. How expensive is it? I'm just now starting to venture into the "fondant world".

Brenda1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda1219 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 14

I needed fondant in a hurry and went to Michael's and bought Duff's fondant. It is a buttercream fondant and I found that the taste is not very good. It also tears very easily when you are smoothing it over the cake. It is also kinda pricey for buttercream. I wasn't impressed enough to spend $20 on it again unless it is a real emergency. I still prefer Mac's Moms marshmallow fondant for taste and it is so easy to work with.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda1219

I still prefer Mac's Moms marshmallow fondant for taste and it is so easy to work with.

Is that recipe on here somewhere? I've already marked several that sound good. Am anxious to try them.

airbrushcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airbrushcakelady Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 14

Yeah is the Macs MMF a recipe or a product to buy?

airbrushcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airbrushcakelady Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #7 of 14

AND I KEEP HEARING BOUT THIS "BUTTERCREAM" FONDANT??? WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT FROM REG FONDANT AND WHAT ACTUALLY MAKES IT BUTTERCREAM??

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:41am
post #8 of 14

Duff's Fondant is Satin Ice. I have a friend that has a cake decorating supply store and it is the same as Satin Ice. Depending on what kind of fondant you have used before Satin Ice can be difficult to work with at first.

Is everyone referring to the new "buttercream" flavored fondant? I have tried Satin Ice buttercream flavored fondant and like it better than the vanilla flavor. It is just a personal taste preference. I did not care for the Fondarific buttercream flavored fondant in either taste or workability. To me it was harder to work with than Satin Ice.

There is a rolled buttercream that I have seen discussed in threads here on CC is that what you are referring to?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:11am
post #9 of 14

Duff's Fondant is Fondarific from everything I have seen. At first it was thought to be Satin Ice, but then i forget what info came out but i'm pretty sure it's Fondarific.

Sorry I can't help as I haven't used any of his items, but there are mutliple threads on the forums about his stuff, you may want to do a search of "Duff fondant" or "duff product" or "duff michael's"

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Duff's Fondant is Fondarific from everything I have seen.

Yes, the Duff's Fondant at Michael's is Fondarific. The "Duff's Fondant" supplied by DecoPac is Satin Ice.

The Duff's fondant from Michael's has mega amounts of fat in it (like regular label Fondarific). It stays soft after kneading and can't be made to firm up readily by adding in gums. The "buttercream" designation is just a flavor additive, rather than the "vanilla" that we're used to in SI, FondX, etc.

Rae

AnnBland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnBland Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 14

I have used both the fondant and cake mix.

The fondant is Fondarific, and it tastes/smells great. It stays very soft and is easily pliable. I buy it when I need black or I'm in a hurry.

The cake mix is AWFUL. I had the yellow cake and it tasted like stale pancakes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Duff's Fondant is Fondarific from everything I have seen.

Yes, the Duff's Fondant at Michael's is Fondarific. The "Duff's Fondant" supplied by DecoPac is .

That is really interesting, thanks for the info!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:11am
post #13 of 14

I tried the Duff's buttercream fondant and actually liked the taste of it! It was a little difficult to work with, but I think if I spent some more time with it I'd like it.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:37am
post #14 of 14

I print coupons from AC Moore and buy Duff's black fondant at Michael's. AC Moore usually has a 40% off coupon on their site and sometimes a 50%. So it ends up being around $10 - $12 for 2 lbs.

I have only ever bought the black. I really like it for both flavor and pliability. It's really firm at first but I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds and it softens right up. If you want it firm... won't happen. You have to color gum paste for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%