Please Help..trying To Avoid A Disaster

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 6:25am by Brendabeeper

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake due today in 3 hours bottom tier top cake cracked in half. I know I can use frosting to GLUE together however this is going to be a tier cake with bottom dowels and a dowel all the way from top to bottom. ***most important this cake is going to be travling by customer for 2.5 hour drive **** will this cake make it? it looks ok after I crumb coated it, but I am very concerned about the car ride and the top tier. It will travel with the top tier on it with the center dowel. Customer will put on the fondant topper when gets to designation but wanted tier on cake when traveled.

7 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 8

the supports will keep the weight of the top cake off of the bottom and the center dowel will keep the cakes from slipping...so you should be fine.

Brendabeeper Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 8

Bless you for your reply. I am going to heavly dowel bottom thanks!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 8

wait, is this just the cake that cracked??? if you crumb coated it and are ready to frost it you may want to be careful about putting "extra" dowels in it...that may crack the cake even more :O the best thing would be to have a new cake layer if it's cracked really badly :p so sorry...without more information, your post was kinda confusing

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 8

be careful not to overdo the doweling as it can make the cake even weaker by displacing the cake that was there...does that make sense?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8

Don't put extra dowels in, dowels will displace your cake and could push the cake outward. "Gluing" it back together with the buttercream is fine and will work.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 8

Let us know how it went!

Brendabeeper Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:25am
post #8 of 8

ok thank you all for the heads up. Sorry my previous msg was confusing. Sometimes (most the time) I can not get out what I am thinking. Especially when I have been up very late for 4 nights. must learn how to say no. Ok cc friends, I doweled but not excess, Cake is standing good for now and I will attach a photo but I will have the customer let me know how it made the trip and will let you all know. icon_smile.gif system wont allow me to add photo, will try later

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%