Can't Get The Cake Cricut To Cut Anything Right!! Helllp!

Decorating By alexahenry Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm by BrightDelights

alexahenry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexahenry Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone
I purchased the cake cricut and everytime I use it with fondant/tylose mix it sticks or the figure starts ripping up and when I used those ridiculously exp frosting sheets the shapes would still get ripped in the process of taking them out from the sheet even though I tried to take it out so gently. I used wilton's gumpaste ... same result what to do??? PLEASE HELP! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
FloweryGreetings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloweryGreetings Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried adjusting your speed or pressure? I have pressure set to 4 and speed set to 3 and it has always worked perfectly. Also, I have found that the key to getting the fondant to cut well is to have plenty of shortening down on the mat before I place the fondant on.

Good luck and hope you can get it figured out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

You need to roll it very thin (you should be able to see the lines of the mat through it) and let it sit in a ziplock bag over night. Be sure you have shortening on the mat first. Linda McClure's gumpaste works the best but fondant with tylose should work if you let it sit long enough.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 6

I got tired of fooling with mine and returned the thing. It was too much trouble with the mat sliding around while you were trying to roll out the fondant and press it down, plus having to cut everything 3 and 4 times before getting a usable cut. Even after you got the larger things to cut half decent the smaller things ended up a blob. I can cut a stencil out or use cutters with better results and in less time. I hope someone can help you because pressure adjustment, more or less crisco, slower speeds, and thinner fondant or gumpaste didn't work for me.

alexahenry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexahenry Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 6

Thanks to all your advice I'll give it a go and see! i'll keep my fingers crossed

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 6

Loucinda and I and our friend Becky did a cricut "challenge" last weekend. Testing different materials with the cricut and cricut cake. We tried Gumpaste with Gumtex, Cricut recipe gumpaste, MMF, 50/50 gumpaste & MMF and Michelle Foster's fondant. We found that the Fosters fondant had the best results rolled thin right on the mat. No waiting before cutting. I'm scrapping all my other recipes and making this one now.

Also make sure your blade is completely clean before every cut. Just the slightest amount of gunk on the blade will cause it to tear or bunch up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%