This Makes Me Want To Stop Making Cakes!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Cakers! icon_sad.gif

Forgive this rant! But, you all are the only ones that can understand! I made two WASC cakes this weekend. The first cake was a Washington Redskins cake. Came out awesome. I will post pics later.

I let the cake settle for 2 DAYS!!! It was wrapped in food safe plastic bag. I took what ever little bulge there off and iced. I let the icing sit for about 18 hours total. NO bubbles, no Bulge no nothing!! Great. Decorated and on my way.

As soon as I get in my cool air condition car a HUGE 2 inch bubble forms and BREAKS through!! WTF!!! The WASC in general is a wet type of cake, IMO. I let it air dry for 1 hour before applying the icing. I was able to fix the problem... But it is very discouraging!

Cake 2, I have pics, but this site will not load them???. There is a filling bulge, dont know why. I also let this settle for 2 days. And my icing is not straight!!! I cannot get my icing over the top edge like Sharon Z. demonstrates....

Sorry for the long rant!!! This makes me want to quit!!!

Michael

8 replies
DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 9

If the WASC is giving you troubles, it means you should explore a different recipe, not throw in the towel altogether.

Don't give up!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 9

I agree don't give up. You gone too far and done so much. Just think it through and troubleshoot to see what you think caused it.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 9

I see that you are in the ATL icon_wink.gif the moment cakes hit the heat and humidity there is going to be a problem. This happens to me all the time when I have my cake go from cool to heat and it really can happen in a matter of minuets. so sorry this is happening to you.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 9

I agree, these are just challengers that make us better decorators, dont give in to a bubble. I too find this happens if the cake is cooler, anytime i refridgerate a cake for 'settle' time then ice and decorate a bubble forms. also if the cake is chilled after icing and decorating then a bubble will form as it comes to room temp. I think the problem lies in the chilling of the cake.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 9

Don't stop decorating. Your cakes are too good to give up.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 9

I had the same problem yesterday. I had a 4 tier wedding cake to deliver. I use the SPS but still didn't feel very good about transporting it completely assembled so I took it in halves. As soon as I put the top half on top of the bottom half the 10" tier got 3 large bubbles. I was so upset. At least it was in the back of the cake. The bride contacted me last night and said that by the time the reception started the icing where the largest bubble had been had completely fallen off. I was so upset, but she wasn't worried about it.

Sorry that happened to you. I haven't used the WASC recipe in a long time and have started using one I think it's called durable cake or something like that in the recipe section.

Mikel79 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 9

I appreiate the kind words! Sharon Z. has a Durable cake recipe that I tried out once. It was not as wet as the WASC. Maybe I will give that a try.

What really gets me is that I can go to Walmart and get a cake from their cooler, transport in my WARM car and to the venue, and there is NO bubbles or issues. Same with Publix cakes. Have you ever seen bubbles on store bought cakes??

I was also thinking about using Ganache under my BC. Will BC stick to Ganache?? I have read that nothing can poke thru this???

It was only 86 here in GA yesterday. I thought that the temp. would not be a issue. But I was wrong!

Thanks,
Michael

Mikel79 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 9

Just got back from delivering 2nd cake. Get this!!! It was an OUTSIDE party!!!! It is humid as he** here in GA. Guess what.....the cake was fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What???

My first cake went from the AC house to the AC car to AC house #2, and had a 2 inch wide bubble?!?!?!?!?!

Geesh!

Michael
icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%