Oh No, Crack In Tier...please Help!

Decorating By jess605 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm by sillywabbitz

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for my son's first bday part on Sunday. I have a double 9in tier and a double 6 in tier. I baked and froze the cakes yesterday (used the WASC recipe from this site) and tonight, I filled and did a crumb coat. The fililng alternates between buttercream (buttercream dream from this site) and an oreo filling (essentially, crushed oreos, buttercream and marshmellow fluff). The 9in layer is on a thick cake base. The 6 in layer is on a cardboard round.

The problem... the 6 in tier is beautiful and sitting right now so any air trapped between layers can escape. The 9 in tier looks good, but at closer glance, I noticed a CRACK in the Bottom layer icon_sad.gif The crack, actually two cracks, are pretty small, but I worry since there are two it might actually be one long crack. The two cracks are about 3in apart from each other. I tired to push the layer toether a bit to scoot the cracked part together. Looking at it now, you can barely see the crack.

So, can this cake still be stacked? I was planning on putting 5 woden dowles in the 9in tier. Since the dowls will bear most of the weight, will it be enough to avoid disaster? I need the cake Sudnay afternoon and had planned to frost and decorate tomorrow. Can this be fixed with buttercream when I frost?

Both teh 9in tier and the 6in tier are wrapped in surran wrap and in the fridge now. What do I do? CAn I still stack? How do I fix this? Thanks!!

3 replies
jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 4

I should add that I'm not traveling at all with the cake.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:13am
post #3 of 4

If it has not cracked any further by tomorrow and you will be continuing to keep everything cold, you should be fine. The dowels will hold all the weight of the 6in cake. The final coat of BC should stay hard in the fridge and that will help hold everything together.

Kristy

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with Kristy, if you use a good support system, then you should be OK. Is the cake sitting dome side down? Did you level it before you put it on the board? If you do have it dome side down that is why it probably cracked. If you leveled it first, then I'm not sure why a 2 layer cake would just crack, unless something went wrong with the filling between the two layers.

Hope it works out great. Be sure and post a pic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%