Icing To Sweet???...hmm I Dont Get It...

Decorating By cakesdelight Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 7:19pm by KimmyKakes4Me

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:28pm
post #31 of 36

I think icing is so subjective. Find one you like and the majority of your customers like and go from there. I prefer things that don't require refridgeration and that freeze well so I usually either IndyDebi's or sugar shacks.

I've heard a lot of people say they don't like MBCs because they taste like butter. It's strictly preference and customers that like your buttercream will order from you, ones that like another kind will order from someone else.

I'm never offended when people peel off fondant or scrape off buttercream from cake. Personally I HATE frosting on cake. I like just cake...super yummy moist cake...it doesn't mean that the buttercream is bad, it means I don't like buttercream (and yes I've tried them ALL)icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif Oddly I love sugar...and I love fillings just not big frosting fan.

Anyway , try the salt trick, try the other recipes and go with what works for youicon_smile.gif

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #32 of 36

Thank You Indy! for letting us know about the lemon, I personally dont like lemon anything ESPECIALLY icing, it just dont float my boat....

I'm going to be trying all the recipes you guys posted and then give some to every body I know and ask them which is the best one.... I don't like alot of icing on my cakes (Im not talking about the cakes I make for my customers, but the ones I eat) BUT there is one icing that I can sit with a 20LB bucket and really go at it until its done, it the Giant Eagle Buttercream from their Bakery Dept. {I learned my lesson for wanting to eating alot of it on my thin piece of cake and trust me a day with a belly ache is NOT fun)...

Thanks everyone for your input on this I was really in the dark when my customer asked for buttercream thats not that sweet.... OH an just yesterday someone called asking me if I make sugar-free buttercream, HA YEAH RIGHT, OBVIOUSLY I HAVENT FOUND THE RIGHT BUTTERCREAM FOR THE ONES THAT CAN HAVE SUGAR....so I turned down the cake cause I don't want to mess up anyones health. Well Thanks again for reading and all your input.

SANDY icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:16pm
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

just a suggestion for those who add lemon to their icing.

Like coconut, I find lemon flavored icing disgusting and if I ordered a cake with vanilla icing and it tasted like lemon, I'd want a refund or I'd just never order there again. (I have a short list of retail cake places I won't buy from just for this reason.)

As a guest at events with cake made by a baker who thinks adding a little lemon makes it taste "fresh" (No it doesn't .... it makes it taste like lemon), I've also scraped the icing off to the side and not eaten it.

I only suggest that you be sure to mention you put a little lemon in your icing (at least to new customers ..... your current and repeat customers are obviously ok with it).

Just in case you get a customer like me! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

FYI debi, only 25 drops of lemon juice. You cannot taste it AT ALL! There is absolutely no trace of it. The cream cheese totally cuts it out. Also, I usually use cream of tartar,which ihse dried lemon juice and alum in it. Again, absolutely NO lemon taste.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #34 of 36

Cakesdivine, you got several points exactly wrong-

Quote:
Quote:

European butters tend to have too high a water content and you end up with icing soup

European style butters have MORE fat not less than American butter. The USDA requires butter to have 76 to 80 percent fat. European style butters are 82 to 84 percent fat . In fact, one European style butter is called Plugras, which means " more fat.

Cream of tartar or tartaric acid, is a fruit acid from grapes, not lemons.

If you are going to give advice to new cake decorators, you really should know what you're saying.

On the other hand, I completely agree about crusting buttercream. It's disgusting.

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #35 of 36

A question about crusting and non-crusting buttercreams.....

the ONLY reason I use a crusting butter cream is so that I can get that real smooth look and be able to go over it with a viva papertowel if it not smooth enough to my liking.... What do you recommend? how can I use a non-crusting buttercream to be so smooth it looks like fondant?

Cakesdivine: Thanks for the info you been sharing with me, but I do AGREE with INDYDEBI, my taste buds can detect lemon in anything even if its one or two drops if not my tastebuds it'll be my stomach... I have a sensitive stomach to most acids (orange anything, lemon anything...)

SANDY icon_smile.gif

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:19pm
post #36 of 36

Lots of practice. It is definitely not a skill that happens after trying once or twice. Hot spatulas, steady hand, and patience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%