Edible Printer Frustrations/ Shark Steam Cleaner Worked!

Decorating By Katiebelle74 Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm by cinz87

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 6

I have a canon mx700 from icing images. It worked great last October. Then I didn't use it for a while, so I put all the ink cartridges up in ziplock bags, cleaned the print head the way I had been instructed to do and set it aside.

In Jan. I got everything out and the darn thing printed lines all over the images and I had to pay another local shop to print up the images I needed.

So they said I needed a new print head probably. I just noticed online today that different places sell steamers to clean print heads. I own a shark cleaner (to clean house with) so what the heck... I tried it, and you know what?! IT WORKED! It got a ton of junk out of there and now it prints without lines everywhere! However the ink has now dried up/been used up on print tests trying to fix it, so I just ordered more. I hope it all works for my brother's 60th birthday cake!!!

5 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:42am
post #2 of 6

Great save! Good luck on your brother's cake. icon_smile.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 6

Hi!
The steam cleaners are great. I have customers send me printheads to revive and I have revived the oldest of clogs! If the steamer cant fix it....nothing can! We highly recommend that you print at least once per week to avoid having to use steamers or special cleaning methods, but if you dont, I also highly recommend steaming your printhead.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

Can you please explain how you clean the printhead with a steamer?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 6

I soak mine with our non toxic printhead cleaner. Then dry it out and steam the printhead (outside the machine). I put the printhead nozzle directly on the printhead nozzles and blow it through then turn the printhead over and clean the bottom. I let it cool and then try run 2 cleaning cycles and a nozzle check. If it is going to work, it will within doing this twice. I havent had one I couldnt fix....yet!

cinz87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinz87 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

Yep.. steamers are just great for anything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%