I Need Help For A Cake Due Tomorrow!

Decorating By Sunshine93 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 4:48pm by PattyT

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a first birthday cake for a friend's niece. They want a monkey face on the cake. The face is supposed to stand on the bottom layer and kind of lean of the top layer of cake. I'm making a 10" and 6" cake. So, I made the face last night out of fondant and it broke this morning. Plus, it was no where near dry enough to stand up. What can I use that will dry overnight really hard? Should I attempt a chocolate transfer? Any advice would be welcomed!!

Thanks!!

13 replies
SweetsDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsDecor Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 14

I would either do a candy mold or sugar paste and dry it in the oven with the oven off, but the oven light on. The heat from the oven light will help it to dry quicker.

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 14

Perhaps try Rice Krispie treats covered or if it's just a face, maybe color flow. Gumpaste dries fast just as SweetsDecor said.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 14

If you have at home or have a Michaels's, Joann or any store like that near you, you can buy gumpaste (from Wilton, Satin Ice or the brand available), and tylose (its a white powder) and a knead about 8 ounces of gumpaste with 3 tablespoons of tylose and assuming that your house have air conditioner it will dry in about 3-4 hours or less. I live in Puerto Rico and I turn on the bedroom air conditioner and voilá... in 3-4 hours my decorations are like rock!!! Hope this help you. Of course depending on the size of your decoration you should use more gumpaste & tylose. I give you 8 ounces so you can have an idea of how much tylose you should add to the gumpaste.

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 14

Perhaps try Rice Krispie treats covered or if it's just a face, maybe color flow. Gumpaste dries fast just as SweetsDecor said.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 14

This is what I'm trying to make. This particular cake was made by Beccachris.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
LL

beccachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccachris Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 14

I made the face from fondant that had Tylose powder added to it. It probably dried for at least two days.

It was flat up against the cake and was attached with candy melts. You might also attach some coffee stirring sticks to the back with candy melts to help it hold its shape also.

Hope this helps!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 14

I'd definitely try a chocolate transfer.
Good luck

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 14

Ditto on chocolate! What a cute cake!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 14

Honestly I would make it out of fondant mixed with gumpaste.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Also, you can put it in an oven with the light on & it will dry enough to use within a few hours. I dried the skull on this cake that way and put it on the cake the same day.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1647231

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 14

I made the faces on top of the cupcakes out of Wilton's candy melts. The dark brown is their dark choc, the light brown is peanut butter, and then I just used regular bc for the white and black facial features. As long as it won't be too hot for them to melt it might work good. Mine don't have a very "clean" design b/c I was rushing, but I just drew a circle template and put wax paper on top to get the right face size.

Good luck!
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Also, you can put it in an oven with the light on & it will dry enough to use within a few hours. I dried the skull on this cake that way and put it on the cake the same day.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1647231

Yes you can. Which reminds me I've got to replace my oven light.

Cute 'skull' cake thumbs_up.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 14

With a short time frame, I'd do chocolate transfer...similar to what Amylou suggested just on a larger scale. You can get a cute monkey face clip art, put under wax or parchment paper, trace with chocolate and it will be dry very quickly, depending on how thick you make it. Make an extra while you're at it in case of breakage.

The Winnie the Pooh character plaque on this cake was chocolate transfer. It just sat against the cake as you described in your OP.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386952

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%