Adding Moisture To Carrot Cake

Lounge By MissCakeCrazy Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 4:03am by kansaslaura

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 9

There is a receipe I like and always use for a carrot cake which is quite spongy and light. If I wanted to add more moisture, could I just make my own sugar syrup and pour it on top after its baked (as in other moist carrot cake receipe's) or do I have to adopt a different receipe to suit the syrup? My cake will be an 8" square. If I look at other recipes with sugar syrup for an 8" sqaure cake, will that amount of syrup be ok?

8 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 9

Carrot cake is one of the moistest recipes i have encountered. Many of them call for freshly grated carrots (moisture) and maybe some canned crushed pineapple (moisture). I've made them with jars of baby food carrots (moist). All the ones i've made are quite dense and moist, not light at all. I just don't know what recipe i used last time.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 9

I have added a box of vanilla pudding mix and it makes it nice and moist!

DeeDelightful Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 9

Ingredients
6 cups grated carrots 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup raisins 4 eggs 1 1/2 cups white sugar 1 cup vegetable oil 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained 3 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 cup chopped walnuts

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 9

I'm curious what your recipe looks like. My recipe uses 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 brown sugar and it's really moist. I don't usually use syrups on my cakes because the one time I tried it made the cake seem under cooked instead of moist...made it kind of fudgy.

DeeDelightful Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 9

If people don't like the texture of pineapple, it could be food processed until unrecognizeable, but i think it's a key ingredient in carrot cake.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 9

I would suggest no using the sugar syrup, but first maybe if you pre-soak your raisins (say in the drained pineapple juice) it would keep them from sucking moisture out of the cake. I think the syrup would end up making your recipe heavy and soggy.

It sounds like a wonderful recipe.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 9

My grandma's carrot cake recipe that I use is so moist already I am acutally thinking I cant use it for any kind of stacked cake. I wouldn't think of putting a syrup on it. I would like to find a recipe that is not so fluffy and moist so I could offer as an option with my cakes but I don't want anything that doesen't taste as good. I guess I want my cake and eat it too......ha ha!

p.s. mine has pineapple but you cant taste it or even tell it's in there.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 9

I'd like to see the OP's recipe. I've never heard of a light spongy carrot cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%