Question About My Ganache Disaster! :(

Baking By adventuregal Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 6:36am by adventuregal

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

Today I had my brothers birthday cake to finish by 6. I had an amazing cake baked, filled with yummy lemon curd, and all the fondant figures ready. I decided to try covering a cake in ganache for the first time because I figured its my brother and he's pretty forgiving should it go badly. Well it went badly...I knew the ganache consistency seemed runnier than last week when I did the trial run on some fruit (last week it was a great consistency and I was really pleased). I decided to use the runny ganache because I figured that because I followed the recipe to a T that it would come out. I figured I was psyching myself out. So I pour the ganache over the cake after letting it sit for 10 min like the instructions say and it just SOAKS the cake-now my cake is a mushy mess sitting in my garbage can and I have 5 hours to re bake. I'm too nervous to try ganache again so I figured I would just do my trusty BC.
So my question is...what do you all think happened?? Any input would be really helpful!

8 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 9

When you say you followed the recipe to the T:

a) what recipe did you use
b) what type of chocolate did you use?

If you use chips they are "weaker" than a traditional baking chocolate and as such doesn't always create the correct consistency for ganache.

Were you keeping your ganache at room temp or refridgerating it and then microwaving it to get it thin again?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 9

What recipe did you use? I've never heard of ganache being 'runny' enough to 'soak' into a cake. Maybe if you share the recipe that you used we can help you figure out what went wrong.

adventuregal Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

It's the cake mix doctors recipe-8 oz chocolate to 3/4 cup heavy cream-the same one I used a week ago. Maybe I didn't let it set up long enough? I rebaked the cake, frosted in BC, and am now putting on the new decorations with the new "theme" that I scraped together :$ I hope he likes it!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #5 of 9

That's alot of cream for 8 ounces of chocolate. I usually use 7 ounces of cream to 12 ounces of chocolate. I have even used 8 ounces of cream to 12 ounces of chocolate and never had to turn out to runny. I also add 2 tablespoons of butter to my ganache and a dash of vanilla.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 9

I agree. I use 12 ounces of chocolate to 8 ounces of cream. Any more cream than that and mine wouldn't work for me.

I suggest that you try another recipe.

Check out Rylan's "How to make ganache". The link can be found on his signature line.

adventuregal Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:28am
post #7 of 9

Thanks! I'll check that out. Maybe last week was just a fluke and the ganache gods were being nice to me lol That wasn't the case today, but onto another adventure!

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:27am
post #8 of 9

For ganache to use under fondant, the correct ratio would be 2:1 by weight, 8 0z choc to 4 oz heavy cream. Let set up overnight and should be the consistancy of peanut butter. (no butter here) And there still could be a slight variance depending on the heat/humidity of course like most baking stuff.
here is a great thread- http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633264-.html
read the first 3-4 pgs at least, and on pg 28 there is a link for a tuitorial that shows ganache being applied.
Don't be afraid,,,I love ganache.
Best wishes and Blessings~

adventuregal Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:36am
post #9 of 9

Thankyou Bmoser! I will definitely read that thread and try it again...on a cake that isn't meant for an event hehehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%