The Great On Going Disaster!!! (This Is Very Scary)

Decorating By cakeapprentice1923 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 1:35am by cakeapprentice1923

cakeapprentice1923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeapprentice1923 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 13

Well...o.i was making some fondant for my bros b-day cake and i didnt put enough powdard sugar in it so it had holes and airbubbles. but i covered in grass anyway so it didnt matter. A month later i had a hello kitty cake to do and when i made the fondant i made it to tuff it was unflexible and it was crumbleing. So i made anohter batch and it was like it was sweating and i let it set for a while and it was still sweating. So i put it in the fridge and it firmed up nice and it rolled out nice. But then as i was putting it on the cake it started to sweat again and it was stickey and there was alot of little holes that you could see and it just effected the whole cake i mean it started to melt and the frosting looked like it was bulging out and i just dont know what went wrong!!!! is anybody out there listening? Does someone have an awnser to my fondant making problem? Any body? help me please?!!! icon_cry.gif

12 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 13

What recipe are you using?

cakeapprentice1923 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie7224

What recipe are you using?

a marshmellow fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 13

You could just purchase fondant. Always the right consistency. Very dependable stuff.

cakeapprentice1923 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 13

i could but i want to be able to say "i made every thing on this cake"

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 13

I hate making fondant. I don't have good luck with it. Same issues you are having. If you insist on it, I would try the Michelle Fosters Fondant in the recipe section because it gets wonderful reviews.

I swear I totally get you want to make everything on the cake but to play devils advocate, you didn't make the butter or the chocolate so I don't really see people having a problem with pre-made fondant. Especially if you get a fabulous looking and tasting cake out of the deal. But I do understand the "scratch" desire so keep trying until you find a nice solution to your fondant.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 13

I use the recipe from here that just has marshmallows, crisco, water and powdered sugar. I've never had these types of issues and I've made probably 100 batches??
What was it "sweating"? Water? Oil?
Did you sift the sugar when adding it to the melted marshmallows?
Did you use more than 3-4 Tbsp of water when melting your marshmallows?
Did you use a 10.5 oz or 16 oz marshmallows?
How much crisco did you use?
Then, what type of temperature and humidity is in your house?

cakeapprentice1923 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

I use the recipe from here that just has marshmallows, crisco, water and powdered sugar. I've never had these types of issues and I've made probably 100 batches??
What was it "sweating"? Water? Oil?
Did you sift the sugar when adding it to the melted marshmallows?
Did you use more than 3-4 Tbsp of water when melting your marshmallows?
Did you use a 10.5 oz or 16 oz marshmallows?
How much crisco did you use?
Then, what type of temperature and humidity is in your house?

the humidity i think played a part, and i use a 10.5 i will buy a bigger bag next time.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 13

It's ok to use the 10.5 bag just make sure and cut your crisco down a bit. What I do is if I only have the 10.5 bags then I do two full bag of marshmallows and increase my crisco to 1/2 cup vs. the regular 1/3 cup. I also increase my water from 3 tbsp to 4 tbsp. When it comes to adding the sugar I add the sifted sugar in my mixer till I think my mixer can't handle any more. (Usually about 4 cups) Then I knead in the rest till I like the consisitancy. I buy my sugar in the 50 lb sack so I don't know exactly how much I use per batch but I think for two 10.5 oz bags of marshmallows I use 8-10 cups sugar.

cakeapprentice1923 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

It's ok to use the 10.5 bag just make sure and cut your crisco down a bit. What I do is if I only have the 10.5 bags then I do two full bag of marshmallows and increase my crisco to 1/2 cup vs. the regular 1/3 cup. I also increase my water from 3 tbsp to 4 tbsp. When it comes to adding the sugar I add the sifted sugar in my mixer till I think my mixer can't handle any more. (Usually about 4 cups) Then I knead in the rest till I like the consisitancy. I buy my sugar in the 50 lb sack so I don't know exactly how much I use per batch but I think for two 10.5 oz bags of marshmallows I use 8-10 cups sugar.

kk thx fur the advice ill keep that in mind

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 13

This is what I do and it comes out perfect every time. I microwave two bags of the 10.5 oz marshmallows with 3tbs of water. Melt till smooth (stir with crisco coated spoon every 30 secs). When totally melted I add in two capfuls of clear vanilla flavoring (add any color at this point as well). Then I sift in one lb of powdered sugar. I sift in another 1/2 lb of powdered sugar stirring well. At this point I turn the mixture out onto a powdered sugared dusted mat and slowly sift in the other 1/2 lb of powdered sugar, kneading till smooth, adding PS to the mat when needed. You are looking for soft pizza dough consistancy. Then I ball it up and smear it with a coating of crisco and cover well with press and seal wrap and put it into the fridge for at least 12 hours. This allows the sugar to really disolve and the dough to get smooth. The next day I get it out, microwave it for 30 seconds to 1 min until soft enough to knead then knead it with more sifted powdered sugar till smooth..about 10 mins. Then it should be ready to roll out. HTH. Cat

pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 13

I am loving the Jello MMF recipe I found on here. It is GREAT!

cakeapprentice1923 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:35am
post #13 of 13

thx catlharper ill deffinitly will try that!! i thank all you guys for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%